Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I rebuilt a lincoln 302 thinking it was a mustang 302. A friend gave me the motor and the guy that gave it to him said it was a mustang motor. It's a roller motor (non HO). Would a mustang motor have more power then this Lincoln motor? If you guys had a choice of either keeping it and working it, or building a mustang 302 and modifying that... what would you do? Thanks - chris

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I believe the piston didn't have notches and the cam is different, otherwise the same block. If your rebuilding it, it won't matter. If your running it like it is be carefull of higher lift cams, the valves may contact the pistons.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If i decide to put a larger cam in it, does it matter if it's a mustang cam?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,205 Posts
As long as it's a roller-block engine, go for it. Ford's big "HO" idea on 5.0's was to use a cam with the 351W firing order. You can use an "HO" cam in a base 5.0 just by swapping a couple of spark plug wires. Other than that the Mustang 5.0, 5.0 HO, and the Lincoln 5.0 are all damn near identical performance wise. Each one would respond to upgrades equally. Different years used different heads though, you want to watch out for the 86 "heart-shaped" chamber heads. Nobody likes them.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used the same pistons that were in the motor when I tore it down. I believe their lincoln stock. Thanks - Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts