Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided after given some direction here and there, to go with a Red Box because of the deal I got.
http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/catalog/POWERMIG140T_2708_1.jpg
THIS IS BRAND NEW NEVER OPENED LINCOLN Pro-Mig 140 365.00 plus 45.00 shipping

insurance is included in shipping cost

K2480-1 PRO-MIG 140 120/1/60

Put those pesky metal repairs behind you – quickly and easily! The Lincoln Electric Pro-MIG™ 140 is ready to help you breeze through MIG or flux-cored welding chores on everything from farm implements to car fenders to wheelbarrows. In fact, the Pro-MIG 140 is one of the most versatile 120 volt welders you can buy! It's ready to plug in and use – just add shielding gas to MIG weld mild steel. If you want to weld mild steel with flux-cored wire then say no more – everything you need is included in the box! Even if you're a novice, you'll be welding like a pro in no time. The easy-to-find, and easy-to-follow mild steel welding procedure chart helps you make all the right choices.

Advantage Lincoln
• 25-140 amps output
• Welds up to 5/16 in. steel using flux-cored wire.
• Just add a cylinder of shielding gas to MIG weld mild steel with gas-shielded solid wire. The Pro-MIG 140 package includes solid mild steel MIG wire, gas-shielded nozzle, adjustable gas regulator, gas hose and built-in gas solenoid valve.
• Comes complete with everything needed to weld mild steel using self-shielded flux-cored wire.
• Plugs into 120V, 20 amp outlet.
• Gun trigger safety feature keeps welding wire electrically "cold" until trigger is pressed.
• Compact, portable, lightweight and easy to use.
• For welding .023-.035" mild steel and stainless steel solid MIG (gas-shielded) wire (stainless steel wire sold separately). Also for .035" mild steel flux-cored (gasless) wire. Install K664-2 Aluminum Welding Kit to expand the Pro-MIG 140's welding capabilities to include .035" aluminum solid MIG wire.
• Welding procedure chart for mild steel is conveniently located inside the wire feed section door making voltage and wire speed selection a snap!
• Fan-cooled for long life expectancy.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
http://i17.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/0f/c7/67_2.JPG
I went cheap - 18.50...it works perfect.
Brand New Solar Automatic Darkening Welding Helmet

This new high quality welding helmet is awesome to say the least.

* User-selectable (DIN) variable shades from 9-13, are easily adjusted.

* Auto Reaction time is 0.0001 Seconds or 1/10,000 seconds.

* Full eye and Face protection against UV and IR radiation during the entire welding process, even in the clear state.

* Operating Temperature: -5 degrees C ~ 55 degrees C.

* Turns on and off automatically. Ready for you to use.

* Utilizes high performance solar cells as power supply. No batteries ever needed.
* in full conformity with CE and ANSI Z87 standards

* Clear state:#4.

·
Registered
992 Posts
That's the unit I have. Works well.

Use .023 wire and mixed gas for nice sheet metal welds. Anything bigger than 22 gauge sheet and you have to use the gasless wire.

Sluggo

·
Registered
259 Posts
He is saying that the unit is not very powerful and therefore benefits from the additional heat provided by flux core wire. Saying that it needs flux on anything thicker than 22 ga. was sarcasm I'm sure. I think this unit could handle up to 1/8" OK but past that I doubt it performs too well. Congrats on the purchase. Gotta love getting a welder!
Grant

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Pretty cool. Soon we'll be seeing you welding up your local buddies Mustangs as well?

http://cmaynard.com/Misc/WelderCraig.jpg

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Ya' da man for me, i need someone to mig weld my power steering bracket for me...are you in this area tomorrow. ;)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Mark, you should be real happy with that welder, it is near identical to my Millermatic 135, and for automotive work it should work great. I doubt you'll be welding anything over 1/4".

Once you have one and get used to using it you WILL find other uses for it! ;)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Nice deal! If you run out of things weld. Come on over Winter Garden. I am sure we could break that welder in pretty quick!

I will get one of those some day. Is welding up body panels as much fun as it looks?? :)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Jay,
I've got the 135 also. So far it's been great! I was gonna get the 175, but decided I really wasn't going to be Mig welding anything real thick and it didn't justify running a 220v line. 135 at 110v...the way to go!! And yeah, you DO find other things to do with it!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Definitely a good deal, if you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase from? That's a lot cheaper than what I've been finding for that welder and helmet.

It looks as though you and I have some similar projects coming up. I've got to do full floors, torque boxes, and some other random welding on a 70 Sportsroof I just purchased.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just did a search of each seller I got them from on EBay.
Neither is listing at this time.

Link to another Auto Darkening Helmet

Link to a Lincoln to watch

Link to a Refurbished.The one in the picture is not the one you get. The one you get is boxed as new (read all, quite a deal like mine) I always buy refurbished if possible
Refurbished means it has been through tests (unlike new ones) If a box is damaged for ANY product in shipping it must be sent back and gets tested and sold as refurbished...cameras,tv's, vcr's ...new products never get tested...lol to people that think refurbished is bad.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Looks like a good deal. Is that welder capable of doing most automotive related welding?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes it is.

I felt that learning to weld and doing it myself will be cheaper.

For half the price of hiring it out, I get a welder and hands on forever.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
MarkStang said:
Yes it is.

I felt that learning to weld and doing it myself will be cheaper.

For half the price of hiring it out, I get a welder and hands on forever.

Well put Mark. Also you suddenly develop new friends who just happen to need some welding done in exchange for food and beer. A win win situation for everyone.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Stanger'66 said:
He is saying that the unit is not very powerful and therefore benefits from the additional heat provided by flux core wire. Saying that it needs flux on anything thicker than 22 ga. was sarcasm I'm sure. I think this unit could handle up to 1/8" OK but past that I doubt it performs too well. Congrats on the purchase. Gotta love getting a welder!
Grant

Allow me to elaborate. No sarcasm intended.

Look at the chart inside the door of the welder. It gives you a pretty good guide of what settings to use with which wire.
With .023 wire the thickest material you should weld (according to Lincoln)is 22 gauge. My response was based on the fact that I keep .023 wire
in the welder all the time andd keep my gas cranked up to 40. I use the Miller at work for anything larger than 22 gauge.
That said, if you choose to use .023 wire be prepared to switch out your wire for anything heavier. You may be able to weld thicker material with .035 wire,
dunno never looked. I know you can weld thicker with flux core wire.

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
That's nuts. I use 0.025" all the time on 18 and 19 gauge metal; in fact, that is what is recommended for thinner sheet metal. I've used 0.025" all the way up to 1/8" on my 220V Lincoln.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Midlife said:
That's nuts. I use 0.025" all the time on 18 and 19 gauge metal; in fact, that is what is recommended for thinner sheet metal. I've used 0.025" all the way up to 1/8" on my 220V Lincoln.

Uhmmmm....He's got a 120 volt welder. We weld 3/8 all day long with our 220 volt loaded with .023.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts