Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 Mustang with the old Lincoln Versailes rearend with disk brakes. Does anyone have any ideas for hooking up the emergency brake?

Thanks
mark

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
All I did way take a peice of flat stock, 1/8" thick, and drilled 2 holes in it. It's about 5-6" long, and you place it up near the trans where all the cables tie together.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Those factory brakes are not the greatest, but if you must use them you might be able to rig up a universal Locar brake cable kit.
Or use one of these from TotalPerformance
http://www.tperformance.com/category_pics/large/ebrakepic.jpg

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Those factory brakes are not the greatest, but if you must use them you might be able to rig up a universal Locar brake cable kit.
actually the versailles rear brakes work quite well when they are properly maintained. that includes hooking up the parking brake and using it, as that is what keeps the pads adjusted correctly. also need to make sure to keep the caliper slides well greased, preferably with anti-sieze, and rust free. if they are well maintained they will perform exceptionally well. they really only get a bad rap from people who don't perform the proper maintenance on them and would rather blame the brakes than themselves

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
actually the versailles rear brakes work quite well when they are properly maintained. that includes hooking up the parking brake and using it, as that is what keeps the pads adjusted correctly. also need to make sure to keep the caliper slides well greased, preferably with anti-sieze, and rust free. if they are well maintained they will perform exceptionally well. they really only get a bad rap from people who don't perform the proper maintenance on them and would rather blame the brakes than themselves
OK, I am guilty as charged! :joker: Having limited time thanks to all the kid stuff to do like Cub scouts, basketball, baseball, football, soccer, swimming etc.. (my wife signs the kids up for eveything, likes to keep them busy) it leaves me little extra time to keep messing with my rear brakes, so I UPGRADED to the SSBC kit which has been great so far. I haven't had to touch them since the install 3 years ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts