Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43,930 Posts
One thing to remember is that whatever chassis stiffening you do, weight must always be a consideration as increases in weight (mass) affect all phases of vehicle operation (acceleration, braking, cornering, etc.). Sure you can "built it like a tank" but when is "enough, enough"?

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
One thing to remember is that whatever chassis stiffening you do, weight must always be a consideration as increases in weight (mass) affect all phases of vehicle operation (acceleration, braking, cornering, etc.). Sure you can "built it like a tank" but when is "enough, enough"?
^^ This. I added probably 100lbs+ of metal to my car by the time I was done. I could afford it since my engine weight is 130lbs less than a v8, but it will start to affect the car at some point....weight is a serious consideration for any "upgrade" from frame stifening to sound deadening. Its how people end up with a '66 that weighs just as much as a 2016 Mustang. People try to build a car that is like a new car...and that is exactly what they get....but they just don't do it as well as the factory did on new cars.

·
Dimples
7,799 Posts
Sorry if this ia a redundant post, thought I had submitted it to this thread already.....

Anyway, is the panel not worthwhile on a Fastback?
You did mention it, but more as an afterthought. What I'm saying with "honorable mention" is that it's so effective, it deserves at least a spot in this hypothetical "top 4" of my "top 3" list. :)

Not worthwhile on the fastback because it doesn't have the same span of big open space. The plate would also negate the functionality of the pass-through trap door.

·
Premium Member
15,402 Posts
Sorry if this ia a redundant post, thought I had submitted it to this thread already.....

Anyway, is the panel not worthwhile on a Fastback?

In that case, What to do with the trapdoor ? I would miss having it . Spent many a camping night sleeping in a GT-350 with my feet stuck thru the trap door opening .

Z

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
I could afford the Shelby because I gave up motels and camped out in it . Also had diet of rice and beans.

Small sacrifices for the fun it provided .

Z
Around the mid 70's there was a Sapphire Blue with Gold stripes GT350H on a used car lot in Jackson Ms for $1000. I thought about it but the 66 FB GT i had with W heads was faster and I wasnt into selling it at the time and buying another 65-66 FB to build. I wish I had bought the Shelby.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I've got jacking rails and stringers joining my subframe connectors to the the rocker. The squared tubing is welded to the rocker and the round tubes are welded from the subframe to that squared tubing.

View attachment 869419
Doc, who/where did you get the kit? Edit: it looks like Global West makes a kit for 64.5-66, but you have to use their SFCs also. Apparently nothing available for 67-70.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts