Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a 66 coupe with a 289 and auto trans. I've been a mechanic for 25+ years but I have never done a build. I know very little about classic mustang's or ford cars for that matter. I will be doing 99% of the work myself so i am looking for advice.

I know the internet has lots of info but I'm a book guy. I'm looking for quality detailed books for building the 289, both stock and modifying, books for the transmission, I have not even looked at the trans or rear end so I don't know what they specifically are or how to identify them.

I am wanting to build a weekend cruiser with some power, it will most likely never see a drag strip, but I need it to drive, steer and stop the absolutely best it can.

I'll most likely be putting a TBI fuel injection system on it, electronic ignition and whatever else I may need to make the car start every time all the time. I dont want to be dealing with choking, pumping the pedal and cranking, just bump the key and fire. My wife will be driving it as well, therefore I dont want to have to have "tricks" to make it run.

Any help or advice you can offer is appreciated, there is no wrong answer and I would rather have too much information than not enough. Please no theory or "I knew someone who might have", just factual info and your build experiences.

Thank you all in advance, I can't wait to get this build rolling.
1589688548639.jpg

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Welcome to the club! I would suggest taking a look at CJ Pony Parts website, they have many books on building your car, including a really good one on rebuilding the 289. This forum will also be great as there are many knowledgeable and helpful folks who have already done this and know the recipe for success. One possible route is to stroke your 289 to 347ci and add fuel injection. The rest is pretty straight forward, disc breaks, power steering, etc. There are many combinations that will work, I think the hard part is settling on a good plan. Good luck, I’m sure the really knowledgeable folks will be along soon.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
This is a must:

And this one is very helpful:

John

Reactions: 4ocious
1 - 3 of 3 Posts