Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys My dad has recently passed down to me a 1967 Mustang Coupe with the 289 4v and its been sittin for prolly 20yrs and has been drivin maybe twice a year in that 20..The car crank and runs fine only thing it NEEDS is a new exhaust. Can any one give me any ideas of things to do other than running a few tanks of fuel system cleaner, seafoam, etc. Also the engine as unknown mods because the cars been in my family since ~69 and my grandpa blew piston and had it fixed, polished, and bored .30 over but that all i know since he recently passed away whats really done to the engine is a mystery :idea:

Also the air filter cover has a 289 HI-PO sticker on it but the vin says its an A-code so I'm pretty sure thats just a sticker that someone down the road put on there because I'm pretty sure he didn't do a k-code swap...Any way to tell for sure??

·
Registered
431 Posts
Best thing would be to change out all fluids check your brakes...if the tires on there have been on for 20yrs I would get new tires too.. trans fluid might be tricky since the milage and condition of the current fluid is unknown. I would get a professionals opinion before changing it. In school I was taught not to change it if its too old cuz the trans will blow. other people say that's just a myth and if it blows it was going to go soon anyway so I would get an pro's opinion. This is all assuming you have an auto trans. After all that, enjoy:)

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
keep an eye on your brake fluid level as the wheel cylinders and master cylinder may be prone to leaking since it hasnt been driven much. i would not put any kind of additives in oil crankcase,oil does not go bad, just may absorb some moisture so an oil change and filter may be wise. rest of the fluid just keep an eye on. radiator solution should be changed out and flushed if not green. if it looks good u may get by adding a water pump lubricant/rust inhibitor. i would not change tranny fluid, just dont let it run low on fluid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright well thanks guys for the help and suggestions and to the first guy its a 4-speed and to the second guy i bought all the stuff to rebuild the brakes, drums for now, but hopefully in the future changing to disc.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I just recently got my 67 that had been parked since 91 and only started/drove a couple times a year too.

Be sure to keep a close eye on the fuel system. One you start running new gas and fuel system cleaner through it may break up all kinds of sediment and rust and totally clog the carb. Happened on mine and I ended up replacing the entire fuel system; tank, sending unit, lines fuel pump and carb.

Hopefully you will have better luck.

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help guys
@kd4pwh thanks man ill have to keep an eye on that

@cold_beer839 oh wow id never heard of that before thats really cool i'll have to do that

1 - 7 of 7 Posts