Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really, we found the convertible to be in better shape than we expected. The floors are original and dead solid. There is a little spot in both rears where the PO had fixed rust with fiberglas, but it's a good repair. The whole front of the engine was disassembled when we got there, but after a deal was made, we ran to auto zone and got the parts we needed to put it back together. We installed a new water pump, new fuel pump, new spark plugs, and a coil wire. We reinstalled the radiator and fan, put a battery in it, and gave the points a manicure. We pulled the coil wire and turned the engine over until we had oil pressure. Torquewrench poured a little gas in the carb, and I turned the key. The 170 ci 6 cylinder fired up! It sounded awful. All of the lifters were totally dry, even after prelubing. We never got the engine to run off it's own fuel supply, because the carb obviously needs attention, but it would run good with Torquewrench feeding it. The lifters finally settled in, and it sounded sweet. The brakes are seized, so I never even tried to engage the Dagginham 4 speed. The radio works, the power top works, and the lights and buzzers work. I think with a carb rebuild, and some brake work, I could probably drive this thing. My friend who was selling it even let me keep the beekeeper hat that was in the trunk.

I think I look pretty cool in that, don't you?

http://www.knology.net/~dorner/images/beecareful.jpg

/forums/images/icons/blush.gifClick here to see free live bare topless Coppertonecam images./forums/images/icons/blush.gif

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Looks lie you might get a severe case of beekeeper's whiplash with that one. Love the sideview mirror. My wife's cousin has an early 6 cylinder coupe that has one of those mirrors on it.

Good luck. Too bad you didn't have enough room for the chopper. hehehe

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12409371&p=45514468.jpg

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
from Lawton (whew - I spent a week there one night)
The drive across the state on I-40 was a pain - especially with the wind.

Good luck - I hope you and Torque had a good time. If I had known you were going, I would have tried to tag along.

Beri Fraley
Strong, Proud, and Ugly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts