Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. Those guys living in a mountain area driving their classic, all the way drum brakes Mustangs : how do you keep your car on the road ? I live in a flat country and know the limitations of drums all arround. I'm planning to make a trip into a mountain area and am afraid my brakes will leave me when I'm going downhill. I have a standard C4 automatic for 66 so I can't shift down manually.

Erwin, The Netherlands,

Visit my homepage at : http://home.hccnet.nl/e.pilage/index.htm

·
Registered
20,889 Posts
Just drive prudently. 35 years ago, people would drive wheel drum cars in moutainous areas, they'd just do it CAREFULLY! Watch your speed and modulate the brakes so they get a chance to cool a little.

Tom
You can do anything you want to......ONCE!
aka "my 66 coupe"

G

·
0 Posts
I live in north idaho, I've got drums all the way around. I really want some disc brakes but they arent cheap. I haven't had much trouble with the drums and I don't drive real slow all the time. Be careful if it's really wet out, that's when I had a close call.

good luck

1970 351 Cleveland Mach I
First car, bought it in 8th grade, I'm now 17 and it's
loads of fun

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Real Mountain Men don't need brakes!

Wnen I was younger and still in high school, I remember a friend and I cutting classes one day and driving to the lake up in the mountains. We were in my buddy's VW Bug and decided to take a short cut on an old dirt road that was about a 5 mile stretch. This old mountain road had so many twist and turns in it, you'd get sick just thinking about it.

Anyway, the VW broke down, well.... kind of, my buddy took a corner a little to fast and this 7' boulder jumped out in front of him and made the two front wheels lay down like pancakes. We had passed an old farm house and a couple of trailers back aways, so we figured we'd walk back to the house and use the phone to call a tow truck. We couldn't call our parents because we were supposed to be in school. The house sit off the road aways and there was some goofy old man sitting on the porch that just kept waiving and jumping up and down. We were kind of relunctant to go up to the house, but then what seemed like a normal person came out and started tinkering around with his car, which just happened to be a 66 Fastback. I figured this guy couldn't be that bad.

We finally walk up and ask the guy with the stang if we could use his phone, in which he replied, "We aint got no phone up here". After my friend and I talking it over and scrounging are lunch money together, we offered to pay the guy all we had, $4 bucks if he would take us back to the main road so we could get a tow truck. (back then $4 bucks would give you a half a tank of gas in your stang). He said, "No Problem". Now I should of recognize the fact that this guy must of watched the Dukes of Hazard a few to many times. The rear wheel wells were cut out wider for more tire clearance, and when he got in to drive, he slid through the window. I asked if the door was broken, and he said, "No, just takes to much time to fuss with".

When he started that thing up, it sounded like the beast from hell. Now that I think about it, he was probably running open headers. Anyway, he got on that old twisting dirt road and went like a bat out of hell. I don't think he ever touched the brake pedal once! I swear we were going wind up over a cliff somewhere never to be found, especially since nobody knew where we were. Now I liked radical driving to a degree, heck I used to live in the mountains, and did a little bit of that crazy mountain driving myself. But this guy.....Whew!, Let's just say, I haven't been back on that old dirt road since. *LOL*

Sorry for the long post. You guys talking about brakes and mountains brought back a time I had long forgot about.

Doug

[color:red]VMF Exchange Board</font color=red>
http://members.spree.com/entertainment/whizco/owner/dwhisenant/66tl2.jpg
[color:blue]My Mustang is Camera Shy</font color=blue>/forums/images/icons/blush.gif

G

·
0 Posts
I live in the mountains, with 4 wheel drums, and have never had a problem. The idea is to let your transmission do the heavy braking for you. I've got some hills/mountains that drop 2000 feet in a mile or two, so there's some hellish hills here and I've always done fine.

With a C4 you can still shift manually.

Visit my repair page for Repair info, with pictures! http://home.dencity.com/mustangcub

·
Registered
330 Posts
I also live in a hilly area and have never had a problem with my'Stang, however my 61 T-bird,WATCH OUT!!!.
You better use the tranny to brake or you ain't stoppin' at the bottom!
Of course the bird weighs about 4 times as much as the Mustang.
Slow & easy does it and all will be fine.

1965 Mustang coupe
1961 Thunderbird
1983 Monte Carlo Conv.
Yeah, thats right Convertible!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts