Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this is the wrong spot, feel free to let me know or move it.

We are house shopping and I had my heart set of a place with a 3 car or bigger garage or building a pole barn. This may be a false expectation at this time. Most of the houses we've liked have had 2 car garages. My question for you guys is this. Those of you who own and work on a classic but only have a 2 car garage... how do you make it work? Pics of your set up?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a 2 car garage and it is a challenge... some questions for you:
1. Do you have kids? If so, what ages?
2. What else will go in the garage?
- do you need to park another car in there? Bikes, strollers, sports equipment, food and other storage?
3. How wide and how long is the garage? Do you have enough room for toolboxes and workbenches on the side or end?
4. What kind of work you doing on the car? Interior, electrical, brakes and suspension is probably easier to do it right spaces than engine rebuilding...

I have kids and all the stuff listed above, so it is a challenge for me... luckily these cars are pretty small and it can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Whatever number of garages they claim, you subtract 1. A one garage really isn’t a garage at all. Two car isn’t that bad, the mustang will the only vehicle in it but that’s ok. You just need to be organized. You can always buy or build a small shed for the mower, lawn equipment, shovels, rakes. All that stuff gets in the way. Also upper cabinets can store a bunch of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ockbob

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
That's what I do, Mustang project is the only car in the garage, all others, including the complaining wife's car stays outside until my resto is done. Just no room to work and I'd constantly be pulling her car out. I have a 8' x 14' shed for lawn equipment, body panels I've removed, etc. Get organized. I wish I would have done better lighting, sealed/ painted floor and more storage shelving before I tore my car down.

·
Radar
6,853 Posts
I took over and dedicated the entire garage to the mustang, making a two car into a generous one car joint. I even went so far as painting lines on the floor so if I stay between them I can open both doors fully and be able to walk around the car with no interference. (That doesn't matter so much now, but it was nice during the long build phase.) The unseen wall on the right is all built in shelving and another work bench. The lighting is like daylight, needed that. Mind you, we live in North Carolina so parking the other cars in the driveway year round is no big deal. There's that 42" Samsung again, Tommy. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I absolutely plan to have a large shed, if not an additional small garage built. I told my wife that all wood working has to be completely separate from the car stuff. That picture helps a ton. I have some pretty hard core lights from my old garage I'll end up hanging, so lighting shouldn't be an issue. Sounds like the biggest thing will be planning really well and getting the space as organized as possible.

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts
I currently don't even have a garage.
😑
I have a two-car carport.
😞
Somehow, I've managed to maintain my 66...
And restore the entire interior of another...
As well as detail the engine bay...
Replace the exhaust system...
The suspension's next...
When it's lightning I stay my a$$ inside...
When it's hot I turn on my big fan...
When it's cold I bundle up...
There's an engine and two trans in a corner...
My garden tractor resto in another...
We move the cars in & out...
And we're remodeling in preparation to sell.
The next house will have a garage for the daily drivers and a space to work on and store the "horses". I'm getting too old for this...

·
Registered
85 Posts

This is where I restored my MG years ago. Not fun.

I've at least upgraded to the slant shanty but I have to have the garage door open to move from one side of the car to the other since the Mustang has about 2" front and back when its parked inside.

Nobody's ever complained about having too big of a garage. If you buy a house with a two car garage make sure the lot at least has enough space to expand or a separate garage. I think at most I could only put in a two car with the way my yard is.

Reactions: Grabber70Mach

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Keep looking! While I drive around going places I find myself looking at the houses with a garage, shed, pole, barn, outbuildings, open land etc, and often think-heck yeah, that place would do! Not so much in suburbia, more so off the beaten path so to say, but every now and then I spy something that someone added in that I think would be much better than my large 2 car garage attached to the house...but, tough to move on...so, try not to settle too soon for a place that is not what you really want....I can remember coming to an understanding with my wife and kids 30 years ago when we had this place built in a middle class neighborhood that they should just imagine there was no garage, it was for my cars and tools and car stuff. No bikes, wagons, strollers etc It has worked so far other than the large refrigerator, but that holds very cold beer, water, and sodas-hey, you gotta compromise a little :) I am thankful for what I have though and love my garage.....if it was just a 3 car though....

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
519 Posts
Where you live is also a consideration. I'm in CT where we have significant winter weather, so having the wife's car outside when we get 12" of snow, is not an option. Also, because of winter, I insulated, drywalled and heated the garage. Nothing is better than having a place in the dead of winter to go and work on the Mustang. In fact, winter is when I got most of my work done. The heat was easy to add since it hangs from the ceiling and vents through the side wall with just a 4" vent.
One last consideration is a lift, which will benefit from having ceiling height. You may not have any choice when shopping for a house on how high the garage ceiling is, but just something to think about. The best thing I did was to build a 12'x20' shed (with loft storage). I put riding lawn mower, snow blower, leaf blower, etc, etc.in there. I put my interior and other parts (fenders, hood) when I tore the car down.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a 2 car garage house and there is no way I could work on it in there because my wife parks her car in there and we have random stuff like a golf cart and such. Even if I had the entire garage to myself it would be tight IMO. Engine hoist, engine stand, work table, welder and table, storage for parts, pressure washer, air compressor, tool storage, etc etc. Luckily I have a pole barn on family property that is about 5-8mins away by car. I still wish I had a pole barn at my house or a dedicated detached garage just for the project. When we look to buy another house that will be a top priority for me and my wife. She wishes we had one as well so I didn’t have to leave. Even though it is only a 5-8 min drive, that still means I’m not home no matter the distance.

Keep looking. After buying many houses and making compromises with all of them I’ve learned patience for my next one.

Wait it out for a barn! Future you will be so happy. Usually if you find a house with a decent pole barn it is like getting it for free because, at least in my area, they do not add much to the house price when selling the property.

·
Registered
1966 GT Fastback, 289, TKO 5-spd, EFI, 4-discs, TCP coilovers
401 Posts
If this is the wrong spot, feel free to let me know or move it.

We are house shopping and I had my heart set of a place with a 3 car or bigger garage or building a pole barn. This may be a false expectation at this time. Most of the houses we've liked have had 2 car garages. My question for you guys is this. Those of you who own and work on a classic but only have a 2 car garage... how do you make it work? Pics of your set up?
The garage is my happy place (usually, except when a Mustang fix is giving me trouble), and although my garage is two-car, I do have the advantage of having a really high ceiling (15'). SWMBO's car is in there when I am not working on the Mustang, but she is pretty cooperative about leaving her car out when I need the room. I could put a four-post lift in there to store and work on the car, and park my daily driver underneath; this would make it a pseudo-three car garage, but I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.

Because of the extra height, I was able to construct an upper storage platform that runs across the entire width of the garage, and this is where all the seasonal junk goes (and we have plenty). I reconfigured a set of attic stairs that fold up when not in use; these are nice and stable so you can get up and down with items in your hands. I also constructed a work bench setup that also runs the full width of the garage. The bench is high enough so that the trunk of the Mustang slides underneath nicely, which allows the car to back all the way to the concrete foundation and leaves plenty of access around the front. Two sides of the garage are adjacent to interior heated walls, so it does not get too cold in there during the winter. I have a ventless propane heater that makes it comfortable in there rather quickly.

This year, I constructed an articulating hoist for my hood, and this worked out better than expected. I am able to remove the hood easily by myself, then store it above the car while I work in the engine bay. Best of all, I can lower the hood very precisely, but still move it around a little, in order to make all those very fine adjustments that are needed for good fitment without stress, strain or damage.

For underneath work, I built a set of 18" high wood cribs equipped with casters. These support the car very safely and securely on its wheels, with plenty of room to work underneath. This past winter, I installed a new T5z in the car and did all of the raising and lowering from underneath.

Yes, it is a two-car garage, but my setup is such that I can do just about any job on the car by myself with the doors closed. My problem - I am thinking about doing another car, which will complicate things. Maybe a two-car detached garage addition? Been thinking about it ...

Lilly and Stella.jpg 20210214_104526.jpg 20210214_104646.jpg Pulleys from Back.jpg Pulleys from Front.jpg Pulleys from Top.jpg

20190719_105551.jpg 20200419_185007.jpg 20210228_121155.jpg Trans Adj.jpg

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I will suggest that if this will be your forever home, or at least plan to stay fairly long term, you best not settle. Always tough to find the perfect place for the wife and us. Need to write a small list of must haves, and another of wants.
We found our current place knowing I will be building my dream garage, and still ran into permitting issues which shaved off some size and locations on my property. The point being, even if you find a place large enough to build another garage, make sure the zoning and permitting will work before you buy.
If you are concerned already, absolutely do not settle for a 2 car. I have an attached 2.5 car, and built a 24x36x12 and it is already way too small! Amazing how a single small car, takes up the space of 3 large cars during a resto! And yes, I have a separate yard equip shed and many overhead storage racks.
It will never be enough.
Troy

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
784 Posts
Ha!! I’m currently looking for a home and has to have at least a 3 car garage and it’s just me.
This is my current situation. It’s not easy ever but I’ve installed all new suspension, rear end, fuel lines for the fuel injection etc. Right now a two car garage would be luxurious

Chris

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ha!! I’m currently looking for a home and has to have at least a 3 car garage and it’s just me.
This is my current situation. It’s not easy ever but I’ve installed all new suspension, rear end, fuel lines for the fuel injection etc. Right now a two car garage would be luxurious

View attachment 793432

Chris
Your car looks fantastic! I'm thinking of doing a GT clone with the same color/stripe and interior combination. Do you have pictures from other angles?
BTW - As a 66, why did you choose to delete your backup lights? Just aesthetics?

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
784 Posts
Your car looks fantastic! I'm thinking of doing a GT clone with the same color/stripe and interior combination. Do you have pictures from other angles?
BTW - As a 66, why did you choose to delete your backup lights? Just aesthetics?
Thank you Mike!

Like others its a work in progress. The paint job(outside of the taillamp panel and valance) is 41 years old. It looks better in pics but is not terrible. I don't want to highjack this thread but you can look here:

And yes I found a NOS panel and it was just for aesthetics.

Chris

·
Registered
232 Posts
Interesting thread ......

IMO you can easily make a 2-car garage work as long as a daily driver does not need to be inside with your Mustang. See 2 pics below when my house had a double garage. First pic is how it's stored in the summer, second pic winter. It was a warm garage in the winter because the master is over the garage, so a very small heater warmed it up very quickly. My wife did the painting and decorating - she is awesome!

The 3rd pic is current and it sucks. Shoe-horning my 65 into a single is a bad setup, but it's what we have right now. I have about 5 feet still on the back of the garage so I can work under the hood, and I can actually still barely porter cable it, but jacking it up and getting under would be a challenge.

My next garage is going to have fireproof glass french doors going into the eat-in kitchen so I can see it all the time. It will also have a lift!

Reactions: Grabber70Mach

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Built most of my 67 in a one car garage. It was brutal. Had car parts in the spare room. Went to a two car for 9 years and it was great. Now I’m in a 3 car and feel very lucky. I went to look at our current house based on the garage alone. Luckily the rest of he house was just as spacious.

I agree on subtracting 1 for whatever you get. We have 2 cars in the 3 car garage. My Mustang and my daily driver.

In the smaller garages I used peg board for all my hand tools. Saved a lot of space. Also think about storage can you get a shed for storing everything else?

Use loft storage if needed, keeping as much off of the ground as possible will help.

Good luck.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'll add a bit...I am afflicted with the Mustang hoarding disease and have a much better 'available space' situation than most...which really hasnt benefitted me because I just collected more mustangs.,..
All I can say is the advice I got from a buddy..."Get it off the floor"...I had a tendency to put everything on the floor...NO
Look at each item and think..How can I get this off the floor? More room for moving about the cabin is the name of the game.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts