Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,512 Posts
I absolutely plan to have a large shed, if not an additional small garage built. I told my wife that all wood working has to be completely separate from the car stuff. That picture helps a ton. I have some pretty hard core lights from my old garage I'll end up hanging, so lighting shouldn't be an issue. Sounds like the biggest thing will be planning really well and getting the space as organized as possible.
"Lighting", it's all about the lighting! If your existing garage has poor lighting, look into LEDs Cannot have enough lighting.
These are nice. I bought these for other areas, but can be chained to cover a ceiling:

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
All depends on what you're doing. If you're a Saturday wax, shine and wheel treatment guy, two cars is plenty.

Basement is also key - find a house with a full basement. The added volume for storage and other activities is priceless.

if you plan on any level of restoration work, then I'd suggest you not settle at all, find a house that will allow you to build a detached shop. Build it right into your mortgage now and get the shop you need. Money has never been cheaper.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I bought a new-to-me 50-year-old house last year after a house with a 3-car garage that was oversized (36' wide x 25'). Spent a great deal of time trying to find a house with either a large garage or room to expand. I'm currently building a 25x29 garage onto the house. Picture attached. As my realtor said, most 2 car garages are really just a 1 1/2 car garage.
Be very careful about zoning and community set-backs. I measured the distance from the road to the house before I bought it and thought I had a ton of extra room. Later I discover that the road is only 28' wide but the right-of-way to the county is 50', so I immediately lost over 10' of building space! That required a complete redo of the original plans.
Also know that lumber prices have literally tripled! My total cost is going to be >50% higher than expected. Don't get me started.

Roof 2.jpg

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
For the past 11 years I have been exceptionally spoiled. We just sold the house and it had a 5 car garage with 16’ ceilings. T5 lights, fridge, couches, hot and cold water, heated. Was a beautiful garage.
Unfortunately I have been transferred to another city and the area we want (need) to live in is older and out of 351 houses in the community, only 17 have 3 car garages. Most are two car. 😉

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
You have to pay attention to the actual dimensions too. A lot of "2 car garages" are 22-24' wide with a 16-18' single door, which is very difficult to use "regularly" with two vehicles, especially if one of them is anything larger than a first gen mustang. You'll pretty much be stuck with the ability to only park one car and "stuff" in there.

It is possible to get two cars in, but it's a PIA with not a lot of room to walk around (my attached house garage is 22' wide, it sucks.)

If possible, a real two car garage would be 26-28' wide. Those typically have a separate door for each spot. A garage that wide can actually be used for two cars and have room to work around.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a two car garage (separate doors) that's extra deep. Not enough to store four cars in, but room for two and a work bench, desk, and my tool cabinets. I built my entire car from the ground up out there, at times using both bays when needed. Even then I ended up storing several parts of the build in the house. There are some things you don't want dusty or in the garage: glass, seats, interior, air conditioner, etc. I had my windshield in my office for the better part of two years. My fiancee loved that. :confused:

It was enough to get the job done, but I've always wanted something bigger. Unfortunately in my neck of the woods, you can only build them so big. I've considered a bunch of options: renting garage space, renting a commercial property, buying a commercial property, buying a rental property and keeping the garage for myself, rebuilding my garage, and so on. None seem particularly viable. So buy the biggest one you can find, you won't regret it.

If you do end up in a two car, organization is key. I just spent some time rearranging things out there, putting all my shelves and cabinets on one side of the garage and leaving the rest for open workspace. I purchased a bunch of storage tubs from Home Depot to store parts and keep things organized. The other suggestion I have would be to know when it doesn't make sense to do something. For instance, I purchased a blasting cabinet and blaster from HF to blast a couple of small parts. Sure, it was cheap, but the cabinet takes up a ton of room in the garage. It would have made more sense to pay the premium to have someone else just knock that stuff out. Your work space has value and should be treated that way.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
803 Posts
For the past 11 years I have been exceptionally spoiled. We just sold the house and it had a 5 car garage with 16’ ceilings. T5 lights, fridge, couches, hot and cold water, heated. Was a beautiful garage.
Unfortunately I have been transferred to another city and the area we want (need) to live in is older and out of 351 houses in the community, only 17 have 3 car garages. Most are two car. 😉
Is that one of those classic Fieros? ;)

Chris

Reactions: Grabber70Mach

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Like everybody else, I have 15lbs of stuff for a 10lb sized garage. It's 22 X 27, yes, wasted a lot of wood but the size limit was 600 Sq.Ft. It has a barn style so there is storage space upstairs.
Yet: I'm still storing parts in the house basement. I'm older and wished I made room for a lift. Store plenty of other items like the lawn mower, 2 bicycles, snow blower, the reat of the lawn and garden tools.
When you disassemble a car, you use one bay and the car parts fit in the other bay and a half! OK, but I have two Mustangs, and it's a tight fit.
Next house (whenever this will be), will have a larger garage....with a lift!

·
Registered
175 Posts
My first house was a single car garage...that my car at the time (68 Satellite) would not even fit in to. Since then I have never had bigger than a 2 car. While it can be challenging at times, it works. Occasionally, if I am doing a bigger job on one of my cars (pulling the engine, trans, etc..., I have to do the parking shuffle and have in the past moved a car in to a family members garage. I also have 3 kids so I have bikes hanging from the rafters, one whole wall of the garage is shelving with clothes that we hang on to for the younger kids, etc... If I ever have to move again I will likely look for a place that has some property so that I can build a small shop. As it stands right now...my Grand Wagoneer is always parked outside right next to my wife's car (which she complains about having to park outside every time it rains.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have a 3-car garage, but unfortunately one of the bays is a tandem bay and I hate it. With my tool box and cabinets and a 100ft long 70 coupe 😆 it realistically is a 2-bay.

Stay away from 3 car tandems in my opinion. Really regret not having a side-by-side-by-side.

You can see in the pic where my Stang sits in the tandem area, but unless you drive a small vehicle the area in front of it is pretty worthless.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You have to pay attention to the actual dimensions too. A lot of "2 car garages" are 22-24' wide with a 16-18' single door, which is very difficult to use "regularly" with two vehicles, especially if one of them is anything larger than a first gen mustang. You'll pretty much be stuck with the ability to only park one car and "stuff" in there.

It is possible to get two cars in, but it's a PIA with not a lot of room to walk around (my attached house garage is 22' wide, it sucks.)

If possible, a real two car garage would be 26-28' wide. Those typically have a separate door for each spot. A garage that wide can actually be used for two cars and have room to work around.
This is the size of my "two car" which is now really a "one car". As others have stated we're able to keep our DD's outside yearly. Before I had the mustang over we were juuuuuuuuust barely able to get the wife's accord and my WRX in (subaru is about same size as the mustang...ish). Another commonality here in the south is they like to put the water heaters in the garage which eats up space. I'm lucky in that my garage is a 12' ceiling so I can go up. Few years ago I added some cabinet storage and that was able to condense almost everything down into that space. Put all the birdfood, gardening, etc. stuff into totes.

What I started with (roughly) The above door lofting stayed. The weird ceiling color is my finger blocking lights during the pano so they didn't blow out everything 🤣 :
PANO_20200201_152215.vr.jpg

Mid-work:
IMG_20200208_113357.jpg

Complete:
IMG_20200222_125506.jpg IMG_20200704_120837.jpg

Some semi-creative storage next to the cabinet for wood, steel, and other common use items. Additionally a table-saw now resides under the pegboard (just barely):
IMG_20200201_172120.jpg IMG_20200215_180554.jpg

Other wall now has my toolbox, welders, and welding table. I've since switched the two around but general layout is the same. 25 gal horizonal compressor lives under the stairs into the house.
IMG_20200821_202343.jpg

Now that the car moves its easy to back out into the driveway and use the space if i need a lot of room. Before that it was a bit tough but I made it work. I'd agree with others that if you have the luxury, don't settle. Our plans are to get out of the metro area and find a place with minimum 2ac. If there's not already a shop/shed space I'll have enough room to build. Depending on the house that may or may not be the "forever home" which would dictate the size of the shop/shed space built.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Only a tiny one car garage. It is a pain but somehow working. I have just enough space to be able to pull the rear axles.

Next house must have a two car garage to make my life easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
VMF Ambassador
6,966 Posts
I've got a 1970 2-car garage, which is to say that it's not very wide but it is at least long enough. For now it's just Jane in there but I do intend to have a second classic in there in the future. It will be a bit tight but not too bad as I don't have to store any extraneous junk in the garage due to having 3 sheds on the property. I've got a woodworking/car parts shed, a household shed, and a gardening shed. Works out great!

I'm considering building a fold-up workbench for one side of the garage and already have another narrow bench at the front, and it is not too bad. Ultimately I'd like to put an addition on the house (to get a bigger kitchen) and my plans include a 10x12 utility room that would open out into the garage, and then I'd really be in business as the workbenches can go in there, leaving the main "box" for the cars exclusively.

I also strategically bought a larger property with a smaller house that has space for a 2nd detached 2-3 car pole barn in the back corner, if I ever have enough money to cut a driveway up the stupid hill. So I figure I've got room to grow if I need it.

·
Dimples
5,781 Posts
Like many others, I’ve spent the last 20 years with a 2 car garage, and spent several years in an apartment with no garage before that.

I just closed on a new-to-me house last month with a 2 car garage, a 30x30 shop building out back with 60x20 car port that bridges the space between the shop and the back of the house.

With three 64.5-66 Mustangs, two in project/future project status, I really need the space.

This is gonna be fun!

edit: I built a 3D model of this setup. I’ll be adding a facade on 2/3rds of the car port for enclosed storage.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I absolutely plan to have a large shed, if not an additional small garage built. I told my wife that all wood working has to be completely separate from the car stuff. That picture helps a ton. I have some pretty hard core lights from my old garage I'll end up hanging, so lighting shouldn't be an issue. Sounds like the biggest thing will be planning really well and getting the space as organized as possible.
I was telling my wife the other day that besides driving the Mustang, I also looked forward to having it finished so I could do some woodworking. I definitely don't want corrosive wood dust settling on my sheet metal. Currently have all the woodworking equipment pushed to one side of the shop, and a bunch of oak, walnut and poplar air drying.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,966 Posts
Like many others, I’ve spent the last 20 years with a 2 car garage, and spent several years in an apartment with no garage before that.

I just closed on a new-to-me house last month with a 2 car garage, a 30x30 shop building out back with 60x20 car port that bridges the space between the shop and the back of the house.

With three 64.5-66 Mustangs, two in project/future project status, I really need the space.

This is gonna be fun!

edit: I built a 3D model of this setup. I’ll be adding a facade on 2/3rds of the car port for enclosed storage. View attachment 793501
Damn dude! I'm coming to work at your shop! :p

Reactions: CJM68GT390

·
Registered
1966 Mustang C Code and 1973 Mach I 351c v2
100 Posts
I have a really nice large garage 2.5 car but its filled with my motorcycles and my tools. So I am getting a 40x60 building put up on my property sometime this year. Its too much hassle pulling all the bikes out to have my space at home to work on my cars. I can't wait to have a full lift for my toys. Plus room to store all my toys. The only down side is my property is raw land, only have water right now. So need everything including, some where for a bathroom, too many snakes and other critters to use a bush every time :D

If I hit the lotto, I ll buy that place in Montana that someone post on here with the 50 car underground garage for $12m.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts