Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used lizard skin? Should I spray epoxy first or after? Also has anyone sprayed it on the underside of the car? And if you haven’t what would you spray on the underside and in the wheel wells?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
If you're referring to a protective coat, do it last. Prime it, paint it, then apply the protective coating. I used truck bed-liner in the wheel wells just because of whatever the tires kick up. Undercoating was big in the 1980s, but I was never a fan. What was happening was, after undercoating, and the cars being exposed to normal humidity, the moisture got trapped between the metal and the undercoating and did more harm than good.

Reactions: Bernnstang

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
No need to top coat the Lizard Skin when used inside the car. I would not recommend using it on the bottom off the car. You don't really need anything more than a few coats of epoxy underneath. Lizard Skin on the bottom can make working on the car difficult. Also, if you ever go to sell the car, potential buyers will wonder what the Lizard skin might be hiding.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I sprayed Rust Bullet on interior then before full cure, topped with Lizard Skin sound followed by Lizard Skin heat shield. The only area I top coated it was in the trunk where I topped it with Upol Raptor.
On the underside of the car, I sprayed with Rust Bullet and then during the cure window, topped it with Upol Raptor. It is solidly protected within and without.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'm planning on using it, but haven't sprayed it on yet. The video I watched mentioned not putting it on bare metal. It water based and apparently putting it on bare metal can lead to rust issues.
I was planning on using the sound & heat inside the car and sound on the underside (from the back of the car up to the bottom edge of the firewall).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts