Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am wanting to upgrade to a pertronix ignitor, can I get one for the load o matic dizzy? If so, can somebody tell me what the pertronix part number is? Also, I have a Holly 1940 carb, and I have heard some people say that you have to run a carb that is designed to work with the load o matic. Will my carb be fine to run with this setup? The car seems to run pretty good, but it hiccups once in awhile under acceleration.

·
Registered
35,863 Posts
Sure, excellent choice for upgrading the Loado. Dunno what the mfr part number is, but Glazier/Nolan calls it G08141. Before you do that, have the distributor advance curve checked and set, you may find that was the problem. Either way, with the Pertronix in there, you can forget about periodic adjustment.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok! Cool! Thanks. Hopefully someone can chime in with the pertronix part number. The carb could probably use a good cleaning out and possibly a rebuild. there was a lot of water in the gas when I got the car, I just ran about three bottles of heet through it and started driving it around.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I just bought a Pertronix Ignitor for a new engine going into my 68 Mustang. I called Pertronix and just asked them. Their tech was very helpful and I got the part number. I then did a search on the web and found multiple suppliers that carried it. Bought the Ignitor II setup and a Pertronix hot coil for a total of $100 which included shipping at streetsideauto.com. It was here in two days. Perfect!!!
I have run a Pertronix in my vintage race car for the past 15 years and love it. I ran a dual point Mallory and was forever resetting the points. Running between 7 and 8K was wearing the fiber quickly. After putting in the Pertronix, even though I do check timing before every race weekend it has never needed adjustment, NEVER!!

Russ

·
Registered
194 Posts
Is the loadomatic distributor the dual advance (vacuum and mechanical) used on the 6 cylinder Mustangs? If so I have one. And what year is your car? There is a different pertronix for 65-67 6 cyl (pertronix 1266), and 65-67 6 cyl w/ thermactor emissions & 68-73 6 cyl (pertronix 1261). I'll take a look when I get home in the morning to double check which one I have.

·
Registered
35,863 Posts
The Loadomatic is a vacuum-only distributor that works with a calibrated ported vacuum from the Autolite 1100 carb.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
66Sprint, my car is a 67 and I am not sure about the dual advance thing. I could be wrong, but I think the load o matic just uses engine vacuum no mechanical advance. From the pictures I saw on the internet, mine appears to be the loado. And I also saw that the loados were used until 68.

·
Registered
35,863 Posts
Never tested one. Now you need to know what the vaccum curve is with the Holley. Personally, I'd probably just use a later dual advance dist to sidestep the whole issue.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ok, looking at some photos of my distributor it has C6D(I can't make out next character because of camera flash) 12127 K, than below that it says 6 8 C. Here is a somewhat bad picture of the side.

So what type of distributor is this, and what engine is it meant for.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts