Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking to dyno my car and get a where-a-bouts figure. And then I'll use this figure to decide how to get more power. I'm hoping for something close to 385-410 for the cheapest...

Motor specs...
351 Windsor
.030 over 9-1 flat tops (cast)
moly rings
.010 .90 crank clevite cam, main, rods
cloyes true roller timing set
wolverine blue racer cam .496 lift
220 degree duration @ .050
high volume oil pump
hardened oil pump drive
crane anti-pump up hydraulic lifters
C90E 69 head castings
Port and polish
Chev- 1.94 intake 1.60 Exhaust valves
Bronze guides, screw in studs, guide plates
Hardened pushrods, 3 angle valve job
Holley street dominator single plane intake

weighted distributor with vacuum timing
Holley Street Avenger (670)
headers (short tube)
3" pipe to 40 series Flowmasters
and a 3.55 rear 8" rear

So how much power can I expect from this thing? And what's my next move toward the 385 mark?

·
Registered
21,023 Posts
No offense but I think you'll be in the + - 280 hp range. Just too mild of a cam and compression for your goal. But you'll make a ton of torque ::

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
You can for sure bump up the cam. The one you have is relatively mild.

Also consider some better heads.

Plenty of guys with a 351W in the hp range you are looking for.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I ran this combo through my Performance Trends Engine Analyzer program. I had to make some assumptions, but it ended up spitting out [email protected] rpm and 360 [email protected]00.
Now, this is with NO accessories, and it is measured at the flywheel, so your actual power will be significantly less.
This program tends to be a little optimistic, but is generally much more accurate than most of the other ones out there. I could get closer if I had more information, like flow numbers for the heads, more complete specs for the cam, what accessories you are running, etc...

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
You don't need those 3 inch pipes....prob hurting more than helping at the power levels you will be making. 2.5 would be better through the whole system IMO.

I would estimate under 300HP and torque at the back tire

·
Registered
345 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Your engine matches most of the specs for my 351W. Mine recently made on an engine dyno peak 367HP and 447 torque at the flywheel. I am running an edelbrock Air Gap intake, the dyno guy says he has seens very good numbers from Fords running the same intake. Check out my car domain website for the dyno printout & graph.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, that's a pickle. So heads, cam and intake will give me better power. How much power? I have to justify spending $1,800 and the time involved in pulling my motor. If I'm at 325hp at the crank, what can I expect from nice AFR or Edelbrock heads, cam and intake?

Would I be better off just putting a new intake and better distributor/ignition and having the car tuned from a dyno. It doesn't feel like I've got more 300 hp right now. It's a torque-ie ride for sure but the motor struggles at the top end.

Also, will I need to do anything to my internals if I do the heads, cam, intake route? I don't want a car with bad street manners that HAS to run on 91 or higher octane.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Your engine matches most of the specs for my 351W. Mine recently made on an engine dyno peak 367HP and 447 torque at the flywheel. I am running an edelbrock Air Gap intake, the dyno guy says he has seens very good numbers from Fords running the same intake. Check out my car domain website for the dyno printout & graph.
Do you have your engine spec? (CAM)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
My engine specs are:
351 Windsor
.030 over 9.5-1 pistons
Stock crank & rods
Crane cam, 484 lift
Ford motor sports roller timing set
Stock oil pump
Heavy duty oil pump drive
Stock 69 heads, port gasket matched
Holley 650DP
Edelbrock Air Gap intake

It made 367HP and 447 torque...see my website page for the dyno printout.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts