Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, someone backed into my driver side door a few weeks back. I got my door replaced and paint blended. My original driver's side door mirror location matched my passenger door. However, my replacement driver's side mirror position is different (see pics). Body shop told me my new replacement door had pre-drilled holes already. Trying to figure out what the "correct" position is for these mirrors, if there is one. The fact that the mirror positions don't match is kind of bugging me. But for them to move the driver's side mirror means repainting the door again.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
The drivers door is Completely wrong. It should be behind the wing window so that the window can fully open. I seriously doubt the door came with the holes drilled.

65 sideview mirror template

Reactions: 4ocious

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
That would drive me nuts especially after paying for insurance and the insurance company paying for the job to be done right.

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
@Flade called it. The mirror should be just far enough back on the door to allow the vent window to open fully without interference.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Find out who they bought the door from. I bet if you contact them you will learn that it came without the holes drilled. Print out the template I linked and give it to the shop. Show them how it should clear the window.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Looks like wrong mounting hardware too.
How the bolt is in there, i bet they over torqued and stripped the sheetmetal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just throwing something out there. On my '66, the pass. side mirror is purposely installed in a different location than the driver's. I did this to get optimum viewing from it. Keep in mind that all mirrors were installed by the dealers, not at the factory. Although the mirror on the driver's side may not be in the "right" spot, I wouldn't worry too much about left and right matching locations. No one in 38 years has ever noticed this on my car.

Just sayin'

1 - 9 of 9 Posts