Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago today, I was trying to redo the connections for a new marker light I installed in the trunk area. I went to go sit down for a minute and forgot my keys were in the trunk. I closed the trunk so the metal inside didn't get too hot. I realized soon after that I left my keys in my trunk. I have access to the interior since the door is unlocked, but I don't see any bolts that I can unbolt to get into the trunk. Also since it isn't a fastback, I can't fold the seats down either. Is there something I could do to get back in there and get my keys?

·
Registered
28 Posts
If they’re anything like the seats from earlier years, you just pull up on the base of the seats and they come off, and then there are a couple bolts that hold in the back of the seats

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
somebody added that as "protection" from a ruptured fuel tank in a rear end crash. i'd just drill out the rivets , use an 1/8" bit

a locksmith could pick it if you don't want to take it out, but it'll probably cost ya $50

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
somebody added that as "protection" from a ruptured fuel tank in a rear end crash. i'd just drill out the rivets , use an 1/8" bit

a locksmith could pick it if you don't want to take it out, but it'll probably cost ya $50
I think I could just call Triple A

·
Registered
265 Posts
Once you get this resolved, I’d get an extra set of keys

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
Why not lift up the package tray or a speaker / grille and maybe hook them or pick them up with a magnet?

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
1969 Mach 1 351 Black Jade
30 Posts
Drill a door knob sized hole in that metal shield and get those long reach extendo magnets to get the keys.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Once you get this resolved, I’d get an extra set of keys
Yep, probably the best bet.! All my cars have an extra set of keys, just in case..

Josep

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
These cars and locks are 50+ years old. Try using any other Ford trunk key you have laying around, wiggling it and moving it in and out a bit while you try to turn it.

There aren't that many different trunk key combos (what are there, 4 or 5 positions on the key X 3 different heights? I'm not doing math at 8am). Combine the age and wear on the lock with the relatively low number of combos and it shouldn't be too hard to get another key that's close to get it to open.

Assuming you've got some extra Ford trunk keys laying around and haven't drilled out that separator plate yet.

·
Registered
35,829 Posts
Actually, there were hundreds of keys used by Ford at that time. Close isn't good enough. (Strangely, in the mid 60's, GM had I think 35 keys- Pretty good odds)

Removing the package tray and hooking them through the speaker hole is your best bet.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Hardtop
1,735 Posts
Actually, there were hundreds of keys used by Ford at that time. Close isn't good enough. (Strangely, in the mid 60's, GM had I think 35 keys- Pretty good odds)

Removing the package tray and hooking them through the speaker hole is your best bet.
70s Honda motorcycles had the key variation number stamped onto the ignition. And only used a couple dozen combinations I believe!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts