Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who remembers the old days of a slim Jim (not the snack) and your door was open in under 5 minutes...it took me over 2 hours to unlock the door on my 2015 Silverado 2500 today after I locked my keys in because I thought they were in my pocket...I tried a slim Jim no way you’d be able to get a lock with that on a new truck I had to use a hanger and press the unlock button (which isn’t as easy as it sounds)

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
AAA drivers don't have many tricks anymore either. They use a wedge to pry open the door gap a bit then an inflatable bladder that you swear is going to bend the door then a crooked metal rod to hit the button or pull the door latch. At least i did it at Lowes and not the grocery store with milk or BlueBell in a bag.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Back in the 80’s I worked at a gas station and was the undisputed master of the Slim-Jim. Never came across a car I couldn’t open. Got some lady’s baby out of a car once. One day a guy brought his brand new Saleen Mustang in and locked the keys in the car in the gas lane. I wasn’t working that night, so he took a cab to his house to get the second set of keys. I dropped by the gas station to say hi to my friends and they asked me to open it so we could get it out of the gas lane. I popped it in about 20 seconds and drove that car like I stole it. Damn that was a fun car.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Well one of the reasons I like my 2009 F150 & Fusion, they both have a door key pad. IF you lock keys inside (not in ignition) just enter door code to get back in.
I found if you leave keys in ignition and try to lock, my F150 won't let me lock it.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Bought a beater subaru outback when my volvo motor disintegrated till I figured out what to do. Found out that the keys don't work in teh locks when my daughter left an interior light on so the clicker didn't work. luckily there was a hand sized rust hole in the tailgate so I reached in and started pulling on things till I found a rod that popped it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
When I was in high school (1977) I locked my keys in my car in a rougher part of town. I got a clothes hanger and was trying unsuccessfully to unlock my car. A rough looking guy came up and asked what I was doing. I explained to him I was trying to get into my car. He looked at me and said “You’ve never broken into a car before?” The he quickly unlocked my car, once again asked me surprised I’ve never broken into a car and then walked away.

Allen.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Used your phone? How does that work?
ONStar can unlock it. When my truck was brand new (2015 Z71) I was showing friends my first new truck and I locked the damn keys inside it with the engine running. I called OnStar, verified some info, and they unlocked it for me. I didn't pay for the service past the freebie time, so I doubt they would do it without a subscription.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to know if it ever came down to it.... I have the same truck the 2015 2500hd LTZ
ONStar can unlock it. When my truck was brand new (2015 Z71) I was showing friends my first new truck and I locked the damn keys inside it with the engine running. I called OnStar, verified some info, and they unlocked it for me. I didn't pay for the service past the freebie time, so I doubt they would do it without a subscription.

·
Just some guy
20,221 Posts
I once was in a hurry to pay some taxes at the courthouse within my lunch break. I carry my keys hooked on my belt loop. So apparently I miss the loop and when I got out they laid in the seat. I saw them about a half second after my door slammed. Went ahead and paid my bills. I keep my bed empty and I'll never know why, but for some reason there was stray coat hanger in it. After much grumbling a fiddling I finally got it.
But the really bad part is that my full lockout kit, wedges, slimjims, and all that were lying in the floor in just as full view as the keys the entire time. I was SO very annoyed.

These days the kit travels in a toolbox in the back of the truck. Which I don't lock.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Good to know if it ever came down to it.... I have the same truck the 2015 2500hd LTZ
It's a little shady, but I've heard people have used the "I left my baby locked in the car" to get around the unpaid subscription to get it unlocked...

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
I have a Slim-Jim (which you have to be careful with on vehicles that have side-impact air bags) and I have a wedge / pinkie tool that work on just about anything. I love that newer Fords have the keypad on the outside (added one to my older F-250) and my wife has the phone app for her new Expedition. Then again, I love that my old Mustang is locked from the outside.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
I had a basket case ‘66 that I threw together with parts off my shelves to make it a driver. I didn’t want to take the time to search parts doors, trunk lids, and ignition switches for a matched set, so I plucked out all the tumblers before installing them. Never got locked out, and nobody was the wiser!! Lol

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I've locked my keys inside a time or two, but my best one was when I dropped my keys down inside an underground gasoline tank! I worked at a gas station, and went outside to "stick" the tanks to determine if we needed to order some more fuel. Took the cover off, and dropped the stick down the fill pipe. At the same time, I had my keys in my shirt pocket, so went I bent down to pull the stick, my keys fell out and dropped right down the fill pipe and into the tank. I could hear them rattling all the way down. I ended up calling a locksmith, and for $35 he came out and made me two new keys for the doors, trunk and ignition. I had a locking gas cap, but he couldn't get it open, so I ended up twisting it off with a pair of channel locks. At the time, I was making about $3 an hour, so that $35 was expensive!

·
Premium Member
6,798 Posts
Last year, I think, at the Pate Swap Meet, thousands of swap meet spaces, I thought my battery had died, and got a jump, but the truck would not start. Only 418,361 car guys around trying to help. Finally figured out the transponder chip had failed. It would turn over but not start. I called my son, 50 miles away on a Friday evening in Dallas to bring out the spare key (Grumble Grumble). Then I remembered, not 150 feet away, was they guy who will make keys. He had not left yet. I had an cut, but not programmed key in the truck, and he came over, and for $20 IIRC, programmed the spare, and I was good to go.

I carry a spare key in the truck, and seldom lock the truck.

This universal door opener works well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts