Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife called me today at work to tell me my son was broke down along the road with his 66 mustang 6 cylinder automatic. She said the left side motor mount was broke. I told her to have a roll back bring it home. When he went to wench it onto the truck the wheel where locked even when it was in neutral. he had to drag it up on the truck. When I got home I did find the motor mount broke. If you put it in reverse it will back up, and if you put it in neutral you can drift it backward, but cant push it forward in neutral or any of the forward gears. I ordered new mounts but I am wondering what is in store for me with the transmission, does anyone have a clue what may have happened.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Drop the driveshaft and make sure its not in the rear brakes or read differential. If everything is free wheeling with the driveshaft out then you will probably be pulling the tranny...

·
Administrator
19,358 Posts
Sounds like something broke inside the transmission and there is a piece wedged in where it shouldn't be. The first thing to do would be drop the tranny pan and see if pieces fall out. My first suspect would be a broken band. Likely the broken motor mount resulted from the transmission locking down and was not actually part of the original problem.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If its a manual trans it may be stuck in between gears.When the mount broke the engine torqued over pulling on the shift rods and the rods may now be out of place. go under the car and confirm neutral by manually moving the shift forks

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Couple questions....

What is the current result of selecting gears with the engine running? (you can run it on stands for safety)

Can you engage Park?

If you pull the dipstick, what does the fluid look like?

Any funny noises with the engine running?

Any leaks?

Can your son provide any further information regarding the incident? Even things which seem insignificant can be important...

Get back to us...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts