Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me what is better for a car that is not a trailer queen and sees more than just the 1/4 mile. A locker (like pwertrax) or a posi.

70 fastback modified 351W Edelbrock water pump and rpm intake holly 650 front disc brake conv. Auto to toploader conv. Hurst comp. plus shifter

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I am no expert. Having said that, Lets start with a "Posi" (which is a Chevy term) or more correctly a "Traction lock or TrakLoc". This is a device that has clutches inside that allow an axle (tire) to rotate at a different speed during a turn, but drives both wheels in a straight line. This is done because the clutches slip. This is great for street use, but in severe situations (getting great traction or doing alot of hard launches) there is unwanted slip, and the loss of traction occurs.

A "locker" uses a mechanical means to lock both axles(wheels) together while in a straight line, so no un-wanted slip will occur. To allow proper turning, the mechanism usually has some sort of ratcheting system. This is why lockers make a clicking noise durring cornering. Also lockers can get "squirly" in the rain, so there is a learning curve to having one. PowerTrax has a new setup that is susposed to be quiet during turns. I have it installed, and I have only gotten to drive with it for around 60 miles before my tranny quit, so I cannot give a good opinion of it yet, but I liked it so far.

So I guess to sum it up, a TrakLoc will give the ultimate streetable drivability, while giving up some traction and tending to wear out the clutches quilcky. A "locker" will give you the best straight-line traction and durability while sacrificing some drivability(which I did not notice in the short time I drove mine).

Hope this helped ( and I hope it was accurate :)

Full Throttle
http://homepages.go.com/~ful_throttle/fullthrottle.gif

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
Full throttle gives an excellent description of the units. One additional thought. If you are driving down the street with a little bit of throttle, one wheel hits sand or water and spins, while the other doesn't...a locker type setup will probably result in broken axles. With most fire apparatus (from the chief's car to the full size engines) many use to be spec'd with locker type rear ends. As they got a few miles/years on them, we started breaking axles on a routine basis, eventually causing the shop to pull the posi's out and go with limited slips. Had friends with off road type trucks driven on the street with the same problem. Just some thoughts.

Jeff
Member: Flatheads ain't so bad association
Never trust an over 40 Chevy owner association (They have to cheat to win)

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I've had Detroit Lockers in street cars since the early 70's, have never broken an axle (28 or 31 spline) on the street (or the track either).

If you are driving down the street with a little bit of throttle, one wheel hits sand or water and spins, while the other doesn't

A true Locker, torque will be transfered to the wheel with traction and eliminate spinning of the wheel in the sand or water... That's the principle

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
View Album Here: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1616948&a=12352157

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
Well, you have to remember the force generated on a fire apparatus is alot more than a car. In one year, we busted 3 axles on fire engines, 2 blazers, 1 paramedic ambulance. My friends who have 4X4's also have some high HP and lead feet that went with it too. All of the ones I have known about (axles breaking) occured when it was winter time, ice was on the ground, one wheel was on ice, the other on dry pavement and the throttle was applied (probably a little heavy). (yes I worked in a Sou. Ca FD). I had a locker in my race cars for years with summers bros axles and had no problems also. For street, I just personally prefer limited slip.

Jeff
Member: Flatheads ain't so bad association
Never trust an over 40 Chevy owner association (They have to cheat to win)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts