Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever tried to find a locking vent window latch that will fit early mustangs? Sure would make the car harder to break into. Our '58 Thunderbird has locking vent window levers, but they won't fit the Mustangs.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I've thought about it but the other problem is the crook would just break the glass of the vent window and still be able to get in. So, I figure on changing the interior door handle design. The next problem is to address the fact a slim jim or a coat hanger between the glass and door can easily unlock the door.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to install baffling inside the door to prevent a slim Jim from hooking the door lock or latch rods.

Then they'd probably bust the side glass!

Ugh,

Dean T

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
How 'bout just welding the latches to be permanently locked? I mean, who ever really needs to open these things? :p

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How 'bout just welding the latches to be permanently locked? I mean, who ever really needs to open these things? :p
Some of us don't have A/C yet. Vents will help out the good ole' 2/70 system.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Anybody ever tried to find a locking vent window latch that will fit early mustangs? Sure would make the car harder to break into.
As the succeeding posts discuss, the whole door and window arrangement on Mustangs is extremely weak. I'd go so far as to say you *can't* modify the windows, weatherstrip, lock mechanism, etc. enough to even get as secure as a current-model car.

You can't keep them out, so don't waste a lot of time and effort ruining the car and making it less comfortable to own and drive. Instead, make the car very hard to drive away or tow, and add an alarm system that will help protect against parts thieves and vandals. Then be careful where you park it, and never leave anything of value in sight inside it.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Amen! NITRO speaketh the truth!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts