Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 388 heart transplant is well underway. The short block is finished, blueprinted to a fair-thee well by yours truly.. On, now to the heads. Brand new Victor Jr.'s, bare with valves. Everything else is Comp.. I did the pre-valve job check, and won't be getting off too cheap there. The installed heights are all over the place, will definitely be sinking the spring seats a ways.. They vary by as much as .065 - a word to the wise there - don't expect to install Edelbrock's straight out of the box! Or anyone else's, probably. Dunno, I'm just a cautious guy who likes to get it right the first time ! Warning!! Vic Jr's don't have steel spring seats - you have to add them !

The Comp 35-771 (XR280 mechanical roller) degree'd-in almost right on the money - off by a 1/4 of a degree.

Can't order pushrods until the heads come back -

More as it happens !

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'll agree with the notion that it should haul. You are entirely correct that nothing is really bolt on and go, unless you want to throw away some of the potential you spend money for. We went through the heads and found misadjusted vavlves, untrue surfaces, and some other stuff which i can't remember. Anyway, true story, you might as well take the time to make sure everything is correct or you are wasting well spent money.

Dave

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you really want to take advantage of your heads you might wanna spend a few bills on porting them. The vic jrs with very light porting have shown really big improvements.

Mathew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts