Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lolita is up on stands, and I got started stripping her back end (wowwee !) for repairs. The sheet metal is no surprise - just as I figured. I may be able to save the left rear quarter, I'll have to see what's under the paint and bondo first - Both frame rails will go, lot's of work, but I'm up for it.

I found out why the speedo quit on the way to the track that day - the gear came off the end of the cable and is hiding in the tailshaft somewhere along with the retaining clip. And there it shall stay, I think. I'm not planning to dig it out, I think it will be safe where it is. The next one will go in with a NEW clip !

The bad news is that the left rear axle has a bent flange - It had all of 50 miles on it ! Oh, well, that's racing - Currie will get a chance to check the housing while it's out to make sure it isn't tweaked -

I'll be after the old girl in earnest with a sawzall and spot-weld cutter this weekend -

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure if I posted the battle-damage photos - I'll see if I can find 'em and post tomorrow -

I considered turning her into a parts-horse, but being that she's a family legacy, I'm doing my best to save the old girl. I'm pretty sure I'll be successful. Not the same thing as cost-effective, however ::

1 - 5 of 5 Posts