Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an extreme novice at this, but am enjoying rebuilding a '66 coupe at my own (slow) pace. I'm ready to have a long block rebuild done but wonder what all I will need to install prior to dropping the engine in and after.

I know there's gotta be a ton of info, but if someone would take the time or could recommend articles on the subject, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Here's what I assume will be there with a long block:
Complete block assembly, from oil pump to heads, including timing chain.

Other things you'll need (assumming you're like me and keep starting with rolling shells *LOL*): Intake, carb, distributor, timing chain cover, fuel pump, harmonic balancer, water pump, exhaust man./headers, radiator, hoses, thermostat, fan w/ pullie and spacer, coil (and rest of ignition system ... plugs, wires, etc.), starter, and motor mounts. You'll also need a multitude of bolts/nuts.

Special tools you'll need for pulling engine: breaker bar, harmonic balancer puller (or have machine shop pull it) and hoist.

Special tools for install: Good torque wrench, hoist, and a helper or two (quality of helpers varies with beer consummed).

Hopefully this is something of what you're looking for.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

1 - 2 of 2 Posts