Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you find an interesting prospect car but its 1000 miles away. What are the most important questions to ask over the phone? If "rust free" is your major issue, do you belabor the point by asking about floorpans, cowls, blisters etc to the point it becomes uncomfortable? OR, do you call the guy in a neutral posture and check out the car in a less threatening way by asking general questions? What approach do you guys use? Do you prepare a list of questions beforehand?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
i would at least prepair a list..... i do that with doctor visits.... cause you know as soon as you get into your car you think, "darn i should have asked this and this and that!"
i also would try and find someone local to inspect it in person for you... of course you want someone that will know some about cars and someone that isn't going to buy it out from under you if it turns out to be a really good deal...

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
If they don't really know Mustangs, getting detailed in your questions is worthless. I bought our '68 convertible from a really nice guy who said it had a "little" rust. He said the floors looked OK to him but didn't know what a torque box was. I sent the money anyway and didn't find out the real story till it got here and half the torque box crumbled off into my hand.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can always ask for more photos. Most everyone has a digital camera. If the owner doesn't know what a piece is, have him send a few 'all around' shots. You can look at them while on the phone to him and lead him to a shot of what you may want a close-up of. I've done this with Harleys and am currently doing this with a Vette I am looking at.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Having a local VMF'er or Mustang club member inspect the car is the best way to do it. Many VMF members are willing to do this. Put a post in the chapter covering the region the car is in. BTW, if the car is near the Detroit/Toledo area I'll take a look at it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I second MPD68's thoughts. Who better to inspect a can than a mustang fanatic. Vmfers are almost always willing to help.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Yeah, yeah, yeah, Blah, blah, blah......
It's SUPPOSED to work that way, but, most of the cars on here that I've been intersted in have a habit of one day being offered here, then the next day it's on EBAY. Then, it seems like yeah, maybe somebody here will go look, but, gee, not till the weekend. I'm not complaining about that, heck, everybody has to work.
Too often it's like the owners are in way too much of a hurry.
THAT's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts