Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been lurking for a long time. No Mustang yet but I am getting closer. I have exhausted just about every phrase I can think of in using the search feature.( There is alot of great info in there BTW). I am doing research for my Rustoration.
I have 2 cars that I am looking at for the second time this weekend. Both VERY rusty But VERY complete/original cars.
I wish I had known about the VMF before I went the first time.
Most Notable Items from First Visit:
Neither car has a big block.
First- 67 fastback C code C4. Needs rear frame rails, Trunk dropoffs, Pass. Fender, Rear Quarters(bottoms).
Second- 70 Mach 1- 351w- damage in the same areas as the 67 but Quarters are worse, and Drivers front framerail(by Rad support) has a rust hole.
Both cars have the folding rear seats and all the goodies in back. The Mach Interior is in good(Suprisingly) condition.
Cars have been sitting 7 plus years over grass=RUST.
And now without further ado... THE Questions...(Sorry).....
What is the kiss of death?? Which piece would you look at and decide to walk away or not??
Thanks a Million,
Paul

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Well I will fix just about anything and of course do it right. But for me to make a decission like that it all depends on what the car will be worth when it's done compared to what it will cost to finish the car.

I also look at it this way. If a car will sell for x amount and I can get it for less than the going x amount I will be ahead of the game. If you then decide you are in over your head you can get out with little to no loss at all.

Remember every one wants a car but they are all just like you and me. We don't want to pay top dollar.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hey there,
noticed your in bolingbrook... i'm in plainfield, if you want i can stop by and give you my expert (heh) oppinion on the cars... pm me.
anyways, you have cars that have some value (fastbacks, not coupes) and i would say from the description you gave, fix them up. really, the determining factor on whether you can restore the car or not is the firewall, roof, and dash. if these 3 are in acceptable condition, the car can be restored. the practical cut off, so to speek, is if the car is rusted to the point where almost all of the parts need to be replaced (ie, all the frame rails, floors, cowl, inner fenders, shock towers, trunk dropoffs, quarters, fenders, etc). it is a huge undertaking, and very expensive...
from your description, your cars sound restorable.
just my $.02

- Jason

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
If you're not going to do the work yourself, perhaps take that extra $$$ and buy one that doesn't need quite as much work. The Mach 1 sounds like it is a very good candidate for a resto depending on how much it will cost from the start and how complete it is.

My biggest issue with spending too much on my car is that it will only be worth 8-12k max for a T-code '67 vert and I dont have a lot of money to invest in it. For a lot less work and about the same money, I could have been driving one for the last 4 years rather than working on mine. I kind of enjoy the learning though.

Don't plan on making money on your projects and figure out how much you are willing to spend on them. If you have some time and/or money, it is no big deal to restore one of these. It isn't rocket science BTW.

If you can take an objective partner with you, they can take some stars out of your eyes and see some things you may miss. Also makes for some great conversation..."did ja' see that rust hole?" or "I can't wait to see you get started!"

Good luck, let us know how the second look goes,

·
Registered
514 Posts
Unless you are a competent welder I would say that holding out for a more rust-free unibody is the way to go. You may pay more initially, but it is well worth it to save the headaches or replacing sheetmetal. Buying a total basket case for next to nothing seems appealing, but I think it ends up costing you just as much in the end.

Also, don't buy the first car you go see. Shop around a bit, you may come out ahead. Cars with lots of options are nice, but remeber that those options can be purchased at a swap meet and added to a solid car. Complete cars are good too, but remember you can buy almost any part for a Mustang new and the ones you can't once again can be found at a swapmeet. If you aren't concerned with originality even a solid six cylinder car could be a good choice as you will probably be replacing or at least rebuilding everything in the suspension and brake and powertrain anyway.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Agree with Mike. Find a better car-they ARE our there. There's a very recent post about a guy from the rust belt buying a car from an area where they were better. The extra money, the time, will more than make up, in the long run, for buying a better car. There will still be plenty of things to do on the rust free car but, in the long run, you'll be way ahead of the game. Floors, and even rusty cowls are one thing, but front and rear rails are a major deal. Re the Mach I, will wager that the door hinge pillars are shot, also. One of life's nastier fixes, along with rusted areas over the doors. Go slow, and see if you can find a better car. :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Get the 67..much easier to work on no matter what parts you are doing..Sheetmetal parts very available not so with the 70. Dash , interior area of the 67 far less expensive to renew and less difficult to work on. The 67 will remain a far more in demand car in the long run if you have to back out of your project.. I think with the help of a welder guy you can replace the bottom of the quarter and trunk drop..trunk drop real easy.. and maybe just beef up the rail area where the springs end and be driving it. But are you ready to have either car just sitting around and driving it? If not then go find one and spend more for one ready to drive...You'll be spending the same money fixing either one

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies.
To the local guys- Just found out that I am working all weekend so no second look till the middle of next week.
I have a pretty good Idea of what I would be getting into and I am prepared for the long haul.
The way I see it is even if I got a decent car I would be ripping it apart anyway.
I appreciate your comments.

PS. .....Been waiting for the next Chicago VMF meeting on a day that I don't have to work.
Looking forward to meeting you guys.
Thanks again,
Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.