Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lot's o'stuff been happnin'!!

Lot's o'money been leavin'!!

Here's the latest. The 390 in the doner F-250 turned out to be junk. Hole blown in the #8 cylinder wall as big as your thumb. Went to DSC Motorsport in Murrieta,CA. Got a Reverse "501" 390 block, took it to Millennium Motorsports in Temecula where they bored it .030 over (4.08), installed a Scat 428 crank (3.98 stroke for a total of 416 cid), DSC H-rods and custom Ross pistons and my Crower 16255 Cam (.224/234 duration @ .05 lift, .547/.549 total lift, LSA 108). Rotating assembly balanced to .1 grams! Took the short block to Ford Performance Solutions in Anaheim where its getting CNC ported Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, (int. 295 cfm/ exh. 217 cfm). Intake is a Blue Thunder Dual Plane supplied by DSC. C-6 Tranny is at Hubbe's Performance in Corona, (Please insert HEAVY Swede accent here!). "This is where you go to a GOOD transmission, ya!" Hubbe is the guy you go see when you want your Auto-Trans to haul A$$!!

Other Great news! In preparation to weld in the TCP Sub-frame connectors, I was pressure washing the under side, http://www.lakelsinore.com/www/pwash.JPG I discovered that the original owner had opted for the protective under coating!! :D There is absolutely NO RUST under this old colt.

Also, I finally got my plates!!

http://www.lakelsinore.com/www/8r01s.JPG

I'll post more when there's more to post!!

Jim

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just think how much faster the car is going to be without the added weight of all that money in your pocket. The specs on that engine sounds like a "MONSTER" in the works.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Sounds like your going to have a real torque monster. Nice components! I'm still waiting for my 416, the machine work on it may be done this week, but I've heard that before. Are you going to wait until the engine is in the car before installing the subframe connectors?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Jim! I spoke with the guys at Total Control Products and they suggested welding the sub-frame connectors in BEFORE installing the engine and tranny. They also said that it's best to have the car sitting on its tires instead of on jack stands when welding them on. I guess that it puts the stresses in all the correct places that way. I've got two sets of ramps that I plan to use to get the car up high enough to do the work. Have you installed a different power brake booster on yours? I know that clearance on the stock unit is really tight.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Wow, I didn't know about installing the connectors before the engine. I'm aware about supporting the wheels, I am going to support the rear axle with jackstands, and like you, use ramps under the front tires. I just had my stock booster rebuilt, so I'm planning on using it, the fit will be tight though. I have a set of aluminum Cobra LeMans valve covers with half of the lower ridge ground down to clear the booster, so it should fit. I hope!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts