Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for the 8” axle (complete) out of a V8 Mustang II for a custom application I’m building, and I’m finding they aren’t as easy to find as they were 15 years ago.

They also came in V6 Pinto Station Wagons, and possibly V6 Mustang II’s. I recently drove 2-hours to a junkyard that had a V6 Pinto wagon, and when I got there, someone had beat me to the axle.

I believe the roundy-round, dirt-track guys use them, so I’m wondering if anyone knows of someone who might have a stockpile of them...preferably in the Southwest....even more preferably within a couple of hours of San Diego.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
8" were available in v6 Pintos of any sort as well as v6 Mavericks, typically with a 3.50 or 3.55 ratio. I cannot speak to the overall width of a Maverick housing.

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
8" were available in v6 Pintos of any sort as well as v6 Mavericks, typically with a 3.50 or 3.55 ratio. I cannot speak to the overall width of a Maverick housing.
Pretty sure the Maverick never came with a V6. Engine options were an inline-6 or a 302 2V and that was it. But the third members could be the same.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Probably too far away, but I've got a 74 Maverick that I just started picking apart, still has the rear axle in it. There's also a couple more Mavs up there, as well as a couple Pinto's, and a few Stang II's to pick from.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Wow!! Nice car! My second car was a MK1 Lotus replica, with the real engine and gearbox. It started life as a GT.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
@ 2000lbs soaking wet and a sbf under the hood, that is just a very "sleepy" platform, built for serious fun.
Suppose wings were a most helpful option!
Very nicely done!

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Because the car it’s going into has 13” wheels, and a 4x4.25” bolt pattern.

These axles get me there with all factory parts.

View attachment 739081 View attachment 739082
then you cant use the maverick 8" from a 250 powered maverick unless you change the bolt pattern to 4x4.25. the 250 mav up to 1973, iirc used the four lug pattern in 4x4.5 like the early ford small six cylinder cars did.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Can't help ya on the rear, but that's a cool car!!!

Reactions: Benny

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
then you cant use the maverick 8" from a 250 powered maverick unless you change the bolt pattern to 4x4.25. the 250 mav up to 1973, iirc used the four lug pattern in 4x4.5 like the early ford small six cylinder cars did.
Correct, although I think the housing might be the same. So, I could potentially use a Maverick housing and 3rd member, but then I’m not sure about the brake assemblies.

I could obviously get Aftermarket Pinto axles if I had to, and new drums, but if I have to start tracking down Pinto brake backing plates, then it’s starting to get a bit convoluted.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If you want to come to Phoenix I have one. I'm taking the pumpkin out (4.10 gears) and swapping it into another one i have and putting 5x4.5 lug axles and Crown Vic disk brakes on.
Other than that it is complete.
I do have a stock MII pumpkin that needs gone through that would come with it.

Oh, Pintos and MIIs both had a V6 as an option.

Russ

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Correct, although I think the housing might be the same. So, I could potentially use a Maverick housing and 3rd member, but then I’m not sure about the brake assemblies.

I could obviously get Aftermarket Pinto axles if I had to, and new drums, but if I have to start tracking down Pinto brake backing plates, then it’s starting to get a bit convoluted.
actually you could use the maverick four lug 8", just redrill the axle ends for the smaller bolt pattern, and redrill the drums also for the smaller pattern. that way you dont have to search up pinto parts.

Why not use an 8.8 from a '79-93 Mustang/Capri?
that would also work, except the 8.8 did some out until 85 i think, but the 7.5 is plenty strong enough. but the four link suspension points would have to be removed and leaf spring mounts installed. that cane be an issue for those that cant weld or dont have access to someone who can weld.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts