Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hiya, all.
I've been reading a bunch, but haven't been doing any work on the 69 because we've been doing some work (or un-doing PO's work) on our 90 that we just picked up at the end of May. It actually runs, so DH has been giving it most of the attention. Been trying to use Laurie's Trouble as inspiration, but that goes both ways (grin)

Took a look at the 69 yesterday, and thought "oh my, it looks like the rust has spread". (its garaged, no bare metal, but there are rusty areas we haven't been able to replace yet)

At that moment I knew that, aside from rear quarters, front floorpans, and cowl (where damage warrants replacement), we were going to have to hit the rest of the body hard to strip and POR to keep it from disintegrating.

Went after it this afternoon- started in the rear, did the sheet metal the tail lights attach to....and started work in the trunk. We had removed the gas tank along time ago, so I had a nice big whole to sit in while I worked. :)

I was rather disturbed by what I found. A large, lumpy patch that covered the right hand side of the trunk floor, all the way to the wheel well, we had previously thought was badly-applied undercoating, or sound deadener. Damn, I couldn't have been more wrong. It was a very sloppily applied fiberglass patch, up to half-inch thick in places. Covering large rust holes that extend from the middle of the trunk floor to the wheel well. Wahh!

I had just decided we were going to replace the first piece I stripped, since it looks like it had taken a hit, repaired and then smoothed with Bondo. Didn't want to do that again to get the body contour right. Now, looks like we're going to have to replace the right side trunk floor as well!

Anyone in the area want to teach me to weld? :)
Anyways, thanks for reading my vent. I'm actually still happy I got to work on the car today, despite the large gaping hole in my trunk! Oh, and here's a stock tip. Buy 3M, I'm going to be going through alot of their "Sandblaster" pads. :)

peace-
lore

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Your situation sounds awfully similar to what I found in Midlife. I ended up learning how to weld and replaced the both trunk floor dropoffs and the rear trunk support as well. You can go to my website and peruse the damage and repairs.

http://midlife66.com

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Welcome back to the fray, Grrl! just think of the discoveries as temporary setbacks, or platforms to greatness! =)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Now i do know what that is like. My dad's 69' mach had been raced before, and from the looks of it the car had be ran into a wall a few times. So far we have replaced - Both rear frame extension, the entire trunk area, tail light pannel, 1/4 pannels. The PO had actually brazed the frame rails on.. But my buddies 69' charger had the same fiberglass job... that was fun to take out. Lol nothing like taking a hammer to a #'s matching 69' charger RT/SE ::.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts