Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a set of Hooker long tube headers, #6901. I have try-y's on now and i expect the hookers will hang a bit lower? I was wondering what other peoples experience was with running long tubes. The convertibles have the brace under the seat pan that the exhaust pipes have to run through and I was concerned the bend from the collectors back up into the tunnel would be to sharp. I Got a price quoted for $400 to run pipes from The Collector to out back.
Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
751 Posts
What other mods do you have? If mostly stock I doubt you will tell a difference from tri-ys to full length. Tri-ys are good for low and mid rpm power and torque.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No serious mods, aluminum intake and holley carb. I've had the tri-y's for several years and was going to try something different. Plus they fit my budget, 200-300 bucks. I looked for name brand tri-y's and could not find any in my price range.

·
Registered
20,337 Posts
I have MAC longtubes on my 66. They fit pretty well, great ground clearance, clears clutch and starter great. They will also clear the PS ram WITHOUT a drop bracket.

MAC also has a full length mandrel bent system. It's 2.5", not sure if it will clear the convert bracing. For the most part the exhaust system fits pretty well. They dropped the ball on the short pipes from mufflers to H pipe. I had to cut and reclock them. Muffler specs were wonky. They want center inlet offset outlet. Very tight with driveshaft and fitment. I bought new mufflers with offset inlet and outlet. I'll be installing them after my 3.55 limited slip gets installed.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I ran those Hookers for over 25 yrs----Until I caught the LH flange on a gate rail and ripped it open. I now have a set from FPA ---But your budget is about half of what it needs to be for a set. Stick with what you have if you can.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had hooker longtubes in a 65 and it scraped over every speed bump, onto any driveway and so on. I prefer shorties now, especially on first generation mustangs like the 65/66 and the difference in power isn't going to be dramatically different between longtubes and shorties.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts