Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Mustang
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
66 Mustang original i6 car, 289 c4.

So, the previous owner installed long tubes. And slapped on some 2.25 pipes and quiet mufflers. Nothing is aligned properly and its rubbing all over the place.

I just picked up the Ron Morris adjustable motor mounts to get the header off the shock tower. And to try and realign everything better. The motor needs to be shifted to the passenger side about a 1/2", and raised a bit too.

And I feel like its lacking significant exhaust mounts. As there are only two hangers justin front of the rear axle.

The e brake arm is also laying in top of the exhaust and the cable is sorta taunt on the pipe.

Anyone have any insight on what I can do to get the e brake lines up better.

Also, anyone have any photos of their exhaust mounts in the rear. Dont know if I can just buy a mount or if I have to fab something.

And finally, the mufflers in there are offset offset. Not sure that's correct or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Mustang
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should note, I plan to take this possibly to an exhaust shop for the muffler replacement. I'm just debating on a buying a kit, or having a shop do it. I'd rather have all the parts needed for the exhaust when I show up. (correct muffler and hangers).

Not sure what to do about the E brake though. I feel like there has to be an aftermarket part to fix it.

·
Premium Member
12,033 Posts
Not sure what to do about the E brake though. I feel like there has to be an aftermarket part to fix it.

Actually there's a factory part to fix it. It's called a transmission tunnel mounted hand brake lever. I used one from an '84 Mustang. Cut out the section of tunnel that it's attached to and weld that into the tunnel of your car.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Thats a really really rough exhaust and you probably know were it belongs. If you start moving your engine side to side to gain clearance you might introduce the possibility of a drivetrain vibration. Not trying to scare you but one thing can lead to another.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a factory console brand new. Or possibly wanted to do that console that cjpp sells with the double din center section.

Yeah, I think that exhaust night just be bits and pieces. I'd still like to see some of the other hangers. I like the thought of sode exhaust but worry about piping after subframe connectors.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to note, the guy literally just bolted the car together for the sale. Everything has to be adjusted.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I agree with Nailbender. Don't mess with the engine mounts unless they are broken and need to be replaced. I had long tube headers in my '66 and had no problem with them hitting the shock towers. So you may have the wrong headers.

Do take the car to a good shop and at least get the exhaust pipes as well as the mufflers replaced.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unsure of brand, but they are stainless long tube. But have a look for yourself.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts