Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 65 FB has had a bad looking rear frame rail for years, so in my rear suspension rebuild I am finally replacing this.

This just amazes me how bad it was. Makes you wonder if a hard corner would have broke the leaf free

·
Registered
5,320 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Whats the sock on the exhaust pipe doing? New kind of exhaust clamp?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
It’s a good thing your getting it fixed before something bad happened...but when you start cutting it out you can end up like mine...

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Good golly miss molly! Nate...any other areas of the car you have been putting off fixing!! One good pothole would have done it!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I actually looked at a genuinely fairly solid 65/66 coupe years ago. Floors and body were pretty good, had some small holes and bubbles here and there, but for some reason, the rear DS frame rail at the shackle was so rotten the shackle was pushing against the trunk floor. One of the most baffling things I've ever seen. It was clear this car was original underneath (no patches). Passenger side was totally fine. It was weird. I passed on that car.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Reminds of a years ago incident where my wife came home from work and says to me check out my car, it’s sitting low on the rear pass side.
Sue enough it was low and when I opened the trunk the rear shackle was sticking up through the floor about four inches. 75 Plymouth Scamp.

Reactions: Cobra6

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
Nah, you had many thousands of trouble free miles ahead of you. I've seen plenty with the frame rail broken in half and the spring shoved up through the trunk floor.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I went to check out a 67 Cougar sitting out in a field that was supposed to have a strong engine. The body was sitting down around the tires in the back. We got the old 289 fired up and decided to drive it home. The guy had a 4x4 post that was long enough to support both rusty rear fenders and we jacked up the body, strapped the post to the frame rails with coat hanger and set the body back down on it. It was getting dark and my buddy drove it back while I followed. 30 miles through the hollers with one headlight in the one wrecked fender, the other fender was gone. One door welded shut. One open manifold, the other with a 20 inch length of exhaust pipe. The things the young and reckless will do.

·
Registered
818 Posts
That looks a lot like the damage mine had.
That type of rust damage will allow the leaf spring to break with very little effort.
However, when you go to remove it, it will fight you tooth and nail. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like a PO had put some crappy metal over it as a brace. Ive had this care for 25 years.

The sock is to protect my exhaust tips from the welding splatter if any

·
Registered
36,471 Posts
This just amazes me how bad it was. Makes you wonder if a hard corner would have broke the leaf free.
I've seen that, frame rails that rusted so bad the spring tore through the floor into the trunk. First time I saw that was about 1980.

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
I went to check out a 67 Cougar sitting out in a field that was supposed to have a strong engine. The body was sitting down around the tires in the back. We got the old 289 fired up and decided to drive it home. The guy had a 4x4 post that was long enough to support both rusty rear fenders and we jacked up the body, strapped the post to the frame rails with coat hanger and set the body back down on it. It was getting dark and my buddy drove it back while I followed. 30 miles through the hollers with one headlight in the one wrecked fender, the other fender was gone. One door welded shut. One open manifold, the other with a 20 inch length of exhaust pipe. The things the young and reckless will do.

Ah, memories

I bought a 72 Grande parts car that we put on a "lightening" program. We kept removing bits until it would roast the tires at any speed. Wasn't a whole lot left when we got it to light the tires in 3rd at will.

Reactions: Huntingky
1 - 17 of 17 Posts