Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a '73 H code coupe in fair to good condition as a possible driver. I understand the engine to be a 351 Cleveland 2v; which I have no experience with. I've driven the car and it runs and drives well; however it could use some more power. How would a few aftermarket parts ( 4v intake, 4v carb, & headers) effect the performance of this engine? Is the compression ratio (8.6:1?) too low to really improve the performance much without further modifications to raise the compression? TIA

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Carb, intake, headers, and well tuned carb will make a HUGE difference. These parts are available from Summit (or others). One other easy modification that will make an immediate difference: Upgraded ignition (I use the Petronix module).

The compression was lowered over the years in the cleveland. Compare the 11.1:1 in my 70 351C-4V with your 8.6:1 in your 73. You could change the pistons and install a higher lift cam to give it a little more punch, but if it is running good now, I would just do the aformentioned external mods to have a nice running car.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
change out the rear end gears too... I mach is an H code, and it has 3.00:1 rear gears and it sucks /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
LoL good point! Its like come on guys! Get with the program!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts