Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been searching online and this forum about the reviews on a 1966 Shelby style fiberglass Hood . Most of the reviews I found are 10 + years old . like to get some current feed back

I have a steel Hood with a fiberglass scoop and need some work , body shop suggested a fiberglass Shelby style hood , but some of the "old reviews" claims they are not a always a good fit and may crack and warp plus hood will need weaker springs
I'm hoping by now some quality improvements have taken place The one that I'm looking at is:Scott Drake Part Number:S1MS-16612-MF
with a metal frame on bottom side .
Thanks for any feedback

·
Super Moderator
9,034 Posts
Check out Cobra Automotive. They will likely be the most expensive, but will also be the very best available. The glass hoods seem to be pay up front for it and not have to do a lot to it or pay to have it completely reworked after you cheap out on the purchase.

Last I looked l, CA also has two to three to chose from, street version down to super light full race version.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I have one of the steel frame/fiberglass skin hoods for my '67. The only thing I don''t like about it is the scoop opening isn't open and will require some bodywork to complete. The hood is injection molded fiberglass, so it's pretty straight.

Years ago, I bought a fiberglass cowl hood for an '86 TBird from US Body, The hood was full of waves and it actually weighed more than the steel hood it replaced.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
check out US Body Source, I've had a couple of hoods from them, real nice stuff

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I have this one from NPD

They have another that is more money, but their site warns that it takes more work to get it right (which is really cool of them to say).

I haven’t painted it yet, but it fits well and looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
The fiberglass hood was all for saving weight, right? If you don't need that I say keep the steel and fix it. Too far gone? Get another steel one and hack it open. Youll be dollars and sense ahead in headaches for finish and fitment and no worries about the latch ripping out at highway speeds.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I've had my fiberglass hood over a full steel frame now for over 15 years, and it still looks as good as when I put in on. No warpage and the fit is perfect. I got it from NPD.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Got one of those out in the shop for the 66. It fact the box is now sitting on the roof as it really gets in the way... All those steel frame injection molded fiberglass ones are all the same hood. I wanted to go with the hood with the later style scoops but this one was local and a fair price and I wasn't the one making the decision. The better half likes it better and she was the one that bought it so I can't argue.

It's not a bad looking hood but unfortunately they don't put any adhesive or anything between the steel and fiberglass so it will most likely be rattley. Also not sure how I am going to handle sound deadening on it with the open hole in the scoop. I picked mine up locally from a resto shop that was clearing out of allot of parts and got a decent price on it. Don't forget to check Summit as they usually have a better price on that hood than other places.

Here is what a 66 looks like with nothing forward of the firewall but a hood....

·
rdnck1
210 Posts
I kept the steel hood and will be welding on a steel scoop. Still working on where it will be located on the hood (2" from the rear and centered as originally done or might move it forward some if needed) and I'll have to do a cut out on the old hood to make it funtional. That is something else to consider but is not as easy as just bolting a fiberglass one on. You'll also have to look into different springs if you go to the fiberglass one. The free shipping usually does not apply to truck freight items which is what the hood falls under, you would have to look into that as well Shelby steel scoop test fit.JPG . Good luck, Jim

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Since my fiberglass hood has the full steel frame I used the stock springs and haven't had any issues in the 14 years its been on the car. If you don't have a full steel frame, then Yes, you must use the lighter hood springs made specifically for that hood.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ended up getting a Scott Drake fiberglass hood with a steel frame, new hinges and springs .
Part Number:S1MS-16612-MF

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was there much work involved to getting it paint ready?
Yes !! very disappointed about that but now that it's finally finished I happy with it. I had all work done at a quality shop . I was planning to repair my steel hood that had a add on scoop that need repairs were it was bonded to the metal hood , the body shop felt that even after repairing problem would probably return he seen that issue many time before .

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I figured there would be lots of filling and sanding required. I looked at the same hood on Summit's website many times.
I'll give Summit alot of credit , I ended having to return the first one , it was delivered to my house and to an untrained eye looked good to me but the pros at the body shop showed me several issues.
I had the body shop call Summit explained the problems . Summit was very nice about it so they drop shipped the second hood to the body shop to check before accepting, I was there at the time of delivery even though not perfect better than the first one, still need alot of preparation before painting.

I see several other Fiberglass hoods on the market but I wound if other are much better in quality, I'm guessing that most come out of the same factory in Taiwan or China or were ever ? If anyone can correct me on this like to hear if I'm way off base.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I figured there would be lots of filling and sanding required. I looked at the same hood on Summit's website many times.

Don't just don't... I have one and got a good deal on it locally. LOML liked the hood and she actually bought it so..... But It is going to take a massive amount of work to get it passable. It is very wavy and lumpy mainly on the edges to the fenders. You really can't remove any material so it will require allot of filler to brig up the low spots. It has other issues as well like you have to remove the little steel cowl seal retainers. The new hood has less of a step so you either need to modify them, remove them or have a half inch gap.

If you want that style of hood buy a full fiberglass hood. I wanted the later style hood but she liked this one she bought it so I have to deal with it... I have dealt with lots of repro sheet metal and fiberglass parts including cheap garbage Baja VW bug kits which are horribly made but this hood tops all of that. The way it's made should insure a perfect hood but either their mold is very bad or they are pulling them out of the mold before they have set up.

In short run away and buy a full fiberglass hood....

Here is a pic of it with the new fenders I picked up yesterday. The fenders will be a piece of cake compared that hood.

·
Premium Member
5,095 Posts
Yes I had decided to pass on that same hood. I'd go with patrick's recommendation on getting one from Cobra Automotive if I was getting one. I'm going to stick with the repro steel hood I have for now. Btw, how are the edges of your repro fenders. Asking for a friend :LOL:. Kidding aside, you probably saw the other thread on repro 65-55 fenders?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yes I had decided to pass on that same hood. I'd go with patrick's recommendation on getting one from Cobra Automotive if I was getting one. I'm going to stick with the repro steel hood I have for now. Btw, how are the edges of your repro fenders. Asking for a friend :LOL:. Kidding aside, you probably saw the other thread on repro 65-55 fenders?

Yeah I posted over there on that thread. I will check on that inside edge tomorrow to see how it looks. I didn't notice any issues there but will check.
The pass side one is a little tight as in the fender needs to open a little at the top. The outer edge of the fender it a little high and the inside against the cowl is a little low. Like they were going for 90* and went too far. Shouldn't be a big deal.
The biggest issue is the drivers side bottom at the front which is way too tight like 3/4" curled too tight. But I don't see that as much of an issue to fix.

I bought mine from Classic in OKC. Made a trip up to grab them and have lunch with a friend. Now thinking of buying his SRT8 Magnum now... Unfortunately we don't have any resto companies here in DFW. Not classic car friendly here. We have summit now but they rarely stock the sheetmetal I need at the store here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts