Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been searching online and this forum about the reviews on a 1966 Shelby style fiberglass Hood . Most of the reviews I found are 10 + years old . like to get some current feed back

I have a steel Hood with a fiberglass scoop and need some work , body shop suggested a fiberglass Shelby style hood , but some of the "old reviews" claims they are not a always a good fit and may crack and warp plus hood will need weaker springs
I'm hoping by now some quality improvements have taken place The one that I'm looking at is:Scott Drake Part Number:S1MS-16612-MF
with a metal frame on bottom side .
Thanks for any feedback

·
Super Moderator
8,715 Posts
Check out Cobra Automotive. They will likely be the most expensive, but will also be the very best available. The glass hoods seem to be pay up front for it and not have to do a lot to it or pay to have it completely reworked after you cheap out on the purchase.

Last I looked l, CA also has two to three to chose from, street version down to super light full race version.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I have one of the steel frame/fiberglass skin hoods for my '67. The only thing I don''t like about it is the scoop opening isn't open and will require some bodywork to complete. The hood is injection molded fiberglass, so it's pretty straight.

Years ago, I bought a fiberglass cowl hood for an '86 TBird from US Body, The hood was full of waves and it actually weighed more than the steel hood it replaced.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
check out US Body Source, I've had a couple of hoods from them, real nice stuff

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I have this one from NPD

They have another that is more money, but their site warns that it takes more work to get it right (which is really cool of them to say).

I haven’t painted it yet, but it fits well and looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
The fiberglass hood was all for saving weight, right? If you don't need that I say keep the steel and fix it. Too far gone? Get another steel one and hack it open. Youll be dollars and sense ahead in headaches for finish and fitment and no worries about the latch ripping out at highway speeds.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I've had my fiberglass hood over a full steel frame now for over 15 years, and it still looks as good as when I put in on. No warpage and the fit is perfect. I got it from NPD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts