Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a car that looks like a good buy but the motor won't turn over by hand. I'm affraid to try too hard to bust it loose for fear of damaging something that could be saved. Can this be rebuilt or is it lost? It doesn't appear to have a cracked or busted block. It's just been sitting for about 20 years. Anyone know if it can be saved?

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
first take out the spark plugs and spray it down with some good WD40 or something to help break it loose. After that change the oil and everything before you run it. That's what I'd do.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
There really is no way to tell, because you don't know if the block has been bored or not. I say take out all the spart plugs, and spray some wd40 down all the plug holes...... let it sit for a couple of nights, occaisonlly adding wd to them, and then try to turn over...... it may break free. Also, if the car is in your posession you could remove the heads, and that should make it turn over a lot easier once it is broken free. Again, there is no way to tell unless you tear this engine apart.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if its locked up from frozen pistons,and you end up getting it free,it will more than likely burn oil
and smoke[ the cycl walls will have damage,incl rings]
you`ll end up rebuilding anyway
does the oil pan have water in it,or a mix of oil an water? ind bad head gaskits
waters not kind to cycl walls over time
fyi Dave

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,722 Posts
Since it won't turn over freely at this point, the rings may be rusted to the cylinders and might break if you force it. I suggest you consider the purchase as if it had no engine in it at all and negotiate price accordingly. Once purchased, you can disassemble the motor and determine if the block is still useable (rebuildable) and go from there. good luck

·
Registered
501 Posts
Consider the motor frozen and in need of total rebuild. I would not try to force it because you may damage the block requiring more repair (sleeving a few cylinders). Negociate a price as if the motor was not there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts