Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, no butt jokes or butt pics.

But looking at this 9" 28 spline 3.50. Don't know how serious I am. It came out of a running 75 Bronco. See any warning signs?

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
If there are no chipped teeth or obvious wear patterns on the ring or pinion, chances are it's good for a build.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
If its a fomoco ring and pinion, and no chips or heavy wear pattern yeah, go for it! What are they asking? Is it just the gears or with the complete carrier?

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If its a fomoco ring and pinion, and no chips or heavy wear pattern yeah, go for it! What are they asking? Is it just the gears or with the complete carrier?
$300 shipped, it’s the complete carrier so just a bolt-in affair. It’s an open differential.
I’m still on the fence about 3.50 because I put those in my 67 with 14” rims and C4, and I tach about 3000 going 60 mph. It’s not a pleasant experience with my drone masters.
The car Id put this into will have 15” wheels, so a taller tire but still C4. My stock rear end currently is 2.75.

·
Premium Member
7,041 Posts
IMHO, it is very pricey for an open rear end. If it was a locking rear end, yes, but for a vanilla 9" 3.50 is high, used, unknown condition.

For example, new Auburn gears, $120, and have yours rebuilt with those gears.

Or for 2x what you are paying, a complete new or rebuilt rear end pumpkin

I do not own stock in, or benefit from either of these. I would rather spend $600 for a fully rebuilt unit or even a unit with a new carrier, gears, etc. with a warranty than a used open chunk.

The other thing is the source vehicle. A Bronco. Contemplate the life. Off road, power spins, etc. Not a chunk out of a Lincoln Town Car, (highway driving with a 302, couldn't accelerate fast enough to outrun it's shadow) etc.

Maybe we are spoiled in Texas, but at the last swap meet in June, there were a least 10 9" chunks with gears less than $100 each. If they are not posi units, I do not even look at them.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMHO, it is very pricey for an open rear end. If it was a locking rear end, yes, but for a vanilla 9" 3.50 is high, used, unknown condition.

For example, new Auburn gears, $120, and have yours rebuilt with those gears.

Or for 2x what you are paying, a complete new or rebuilt rear end pumpkin

I do not own stock in, or benefit from either of these. I would rather spend $600 for a fully rebuilt unit or even a unit with a new carrier, gears, etc. with a warranty than a used open chunk.

The other thing is the source vehicle. A Bronco. Contemplate the life. Off road, power spins, etc. Not a chunk out of a Lincoln Town Car, (highway driving with a 302, couldn't accelerate fast enough to outrun it's shadow) etc.

Maybe we are spoiled in Texas, but at the last swap meet in June, there were a least 10 9" chunks with gears less than $100 each. If they are not posi units, I do not even look at them.
All good points. Where did you see the rebuilt unit for $600?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts