Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drive a 2014 V6 Premium and it drives great I've driven it ALOT I have 153k miles on it and still runs smoothly. I've been debating to now get either a c8 corvette or go classic and get a mustang. I found one at a dealership with 94k miles in good condition from the looks of pictures, I haven't gone in person, for $18,000. It looks great and the salesman said it was from a guy that built race cars and had worked on it. My question is what should I be look for, what should I be wary of, and is that a reasonable price? of course I'm going to try to have them come down a little on it. I mean with this coronavirus no one is really looking to make large purchases when they can barely find toilet paper so I have that in my favor.

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
We have plenty of people here who know all there is about the '66 cars, and they ain't me. But off the top the VIN reads Dearborn Assembly, 289 2bbl. V8. It's showing a Deluxe/Pony interior, but the center dash may have been cut to fit that stereo which would be a shame of sorts. Steering wheel wrap is likely to cover a cracked plastic rim. Beware of recent/fresh paint, it can hide a Bondo queen. The fact it's been listed and unsold for around six months now may say something about the asking price. You'll get some more info about it later today from better than me.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Missing the front bumper guards and side ornaments. Aftermarket radio. Obviously painted red resale. Ask for pictures of underneath the car, or even better, go yourself and inspect the car closely, and bring a magnet to check for bondo.! A picture of the warranty door plate will help too..

Josep

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Engine compartment doesn't fit with the paint job which means all somebody did was throw a paint job on it. I would conclude that it hasn't been thoroughly and professionally restored because the engine bay and the rest of the chassis would have fresh paint on it also. We also don't know if the engine has been rebuilt or not and looking at the engine bay I would guess not. Then that leads to questions about the suspension which is another area that would be restored on a complete restore of one of these cars. On the other hand, if it had been completely torn down and restored somebody would be asking more for it.

If you are not mechanically inclined or don't want to invest in a lot of tools and become mechanically inclined and learn things like how to rebuild a carburator and tune on of these old cars, don't buy this mustang or any other old mustang or any other old vehicle for that matter. If you are inclined it would probably be a decent project car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts