Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Overkill??

*G*

Unless money's no object, for a street engine on pump gas that's a killer ignition system; likely more than the engine needs.

Personally, with MSD stuff (I've run them since the late 70's), I prefer the large diameter cap distributors.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
In that case, I can build you some killer shock absorbers *G*

Perhaps they spec'd the small cap distributor since you're not running racing-level compression ratios. Cylinder pressures are a lot higher in racing engines.

We got by for many years with a Dura-Spark distributor and MSD 6 (back when MSD was known as Autotronics). Never had a bobble in any of the SBF combos and most were at or over 12:1 CR and 1.5 hp/ci.

Tell the tech that someone who's been running their products for probably longer than he's been alive thinks it's overkill...*G*

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have the pro-billet ready-to-run dizzy and I love it.

The main reason I bought it was because you do not have to have an ignition box to use it- a big red msd box would not look too good in my engine bay! ::

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I run the full MSD setup with 6AL, distributor 8582, and a Blaster 2 coil. I decided to put my box under the passenger side fender cuz I didn't want to have too much clutter in my engine bay. Hey with MSD I haven't had no more problems with my ignition. Go for it if you have the money.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I have the 6a, SS coil and pro billit with vac advance. Love it and they look great.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Im running the MSD BTM6 with the Pro billet dist and the blaster coil.They are great.It runs fantastic
and looks good!!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I wish i had the money for MSD right now...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have that setup. If I could do it over again, I would get the complete all in one MSD ignition and screw the box. It takes up space, though I heard it was more efficient.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I've got the 8579 and a 6A Box. I have to use the stiffest advance springs on the 8579 or it will not return to initial timing at idle. I've heard others here having the same problem, even with the wide cap MSD dizzys. So I'm not totally happy with my 8579. Switching to a Duraspark with a wide cap is on my to-do list. Accell dizzys look nice but I don't now if I can run the 6A with 'em. . .

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
i have the 6a box with the blaster 2 coil, i do want the dizzy but, right now i dont think its worth the 200 dollar price tag that it carries..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts