Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My car is a 67 fastback. Hopefully I have all the other wires connected but the main 12 volt switched power source. I planned on using the post on the back of the ignition switch.

However, there is a bunch of stuff in the way. The only way I could install a wire on that post is if I removed the entire ignition switch. I don't even know how to go about that!

Is there any other place I can tap into? Or help removing the ignition switch would be great! I already have the key cylinder removed

Thanks!
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Car Vehicle Automotive design
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive wheel system

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38,548 Posts
Fuse tap (NAPA) on the ACCY fuse, if it's not a super-high amp draw....

Rectangle Gesture Font Wood Jewellery

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which fuse would I tap into?
Font Parallel Engineering Electrical wiring Paper

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
To remove the ignition switch the front bezel is unscrewed. There is a special tool to do it without scraping it up.

TOOL, IGNITION SWITCH BEZEL - #929-1 - National Parts Depot

On a 67/68 though, the correct way to access switched power is off the accessory feed. It is a yellow three hole connector on the wiring harness right next to the fuze box. (Wire 297A black/green stripe) Ford used this to power optional accessories Like AC, Speed Control, etc. See Connector A in the photo

Map Font Parallel Auto part Drawing

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To remove the ignition switch the front bezel is unscrewed. There is a special tool to do it without scraping it up.

TOOL, IGNITION SWITCH BEZEL - #929-1 - National Parts Depot

On a 67/68 though, the correct way to access switched power is off the accessory feed. It is a yellow three hole connector on the wiring harness right next to the fuze box. (Wire 297A black/green stripe) Ford used this to power optional accessories Like AC, Speed Control, etc. See Connector A in the photo

View attachment 809681
Dang, I don't see that wire harness anywhere...

I'll try to get a picture.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fuse box.

Man wiring gauges in my 90 mustang and 03 seemed easier than this on car.
Automotive tire Gas Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Auto part

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I used a tap fuse into the #5 fuse. Everything seems to be working....

But I think I need to switch it to the #1 fuse location....

That might just be temporary for now. Just need to hide and the wires.

Thanks everyone!
Font Parallel Engineering Electrical wiring Paper

·
Registered
38,548 Posts
Which fuse would I tap into? View attachment 809680

#1 is switched with the ignition. If you tap onto the "line" side (power "in") you can protect your device with a small in-line fuse. If you tap onto the "load" (power "out") side you'll be going through the fuse but may still want a smaller in-line fuse to protect the device.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
#1 is switched with the ignition. If you tap onto the "line" side (power "in") you can protect your device with a small in-line fuse. If you tap onto the "load" (power "out") side you'll be going through the fuse but may still want a smaller in-line fuse to protect the device.
Awesome thanks for the heads up! I'll move it to the #1 fuse location.

Can I just use any inline with a standard fuse? Maybe use a 2.5 amp fuse?

·
Registered
38,548 Posts
Awesome thanks for the heads up! I'll move it to the #1 fuse location.

Can I just use any inline with a standard fuse? Maybe use a 2.5 amp fuse?

That should be fine. If, for some reason, the wire falls off the gauge and shorts that'll blow quickly.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
I don't see it. Unless it's by the rats nest behind the ignition switch? View attachment 809683 View attachment 809684 View attachment 809685

Ok, my fault. 67 uses the tap at the back of the ignition switch. In 68 they added the accessory feed plug. Follow Woodchuck’s advice for the simplest solution.

These may be helpful

1967 Mustang Wiring and Vacuum Diagrams - Average Joe Restoration

How’s your Tilt Away work?

Reactions: Bdubbs

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That should be fine. If, for some reason, the wire falls off the gauge and shorts that'll blow quickly.
Awesome. I had to order a inline fuse. For some reason no auto parts store had one with 20 gauge wires. I bought one that's got 14 gauge, but I think the wire should be the same size as the gauge wire.
Ok, my fault. 67 uses the tap at the back of the ignition switch. In 68 they added the accessory feed plug. Follow Woodchuck’s advice for the simplest solution.

These may be helpful

1967 Mustang Wiring and Vacuum Diagrams - Average Joe Restoration

How’s your Tilt Away work?
Thanks for the link. I'm not 100% familiar with how it operates. I'm still learning a lot about these old cars.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Awesome. I had to order a inline fuse. For some reason no auto parts store had one with 20 gauge wires. I bought one that's got 14 gauge, but I think the wire should be the same size as the gauge wire.Thanks for the link. I'm not 100% familiar with how it operates. I'm still learning a lot about these old cars.

The Tilt away steering should swing up and away (Swing Away) when you open the drivers door making it easier to get in and out of the car. It also has standard tilt functions. It‘s a great option, but a lot of people have disabled them where they had problems rather than fixing them. With the swing away Function activated, engine starting is disabled until you lock the wheel back into the driving position.

Reactions: Bdubbs

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Tilt away steering should swing up and away (Swing Away) when you open the drivers door making it easier to get in and out of the car. It also has standard tilt functions. It‘s a great option, but a lot of people have disabled them where they had problems rather than fixing them. With the swing away Function activated, engine starting is disabled until you lock the wheel back into the driving position.
Right mine functions as it should. I thought you were asking about it?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Fuse tap (NAPA) on the ACCY fuse, if it's not a super-high amp draw....

View attachment 809671
I didn't want to start a new thread but any suggestions on getting these to go into the fuse block without breaking the bulb fuse? I'm trying to use this in the cig acc fuse and am on my 4th fuse. I'm going to get some contact grease tomorrow but the fuse holder flanges are super stiff. I don't want to bend them and have them then not make a tight connection. (Please lets not turn this into a di-electric grease vs contact grease debate! :) )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts