Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'65 coupe, wants to be a Group II replica one day...
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my first mustang project is stalled right now while I look for a new rear end. My c-code came with the 2.80 8" and I'm convering to a 5 speed. I want to swap to a 9", but I dont have the fab skills to mod one. If anyone had a complete rear end or just the housing that will fit the '65, please let me know! I'm located in the Oklahoma City area.

Thanks!

-Ed

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I have seen brand new 9" housing for under $500 and Housing/axle housing combos in the $650 range. That would be the route I would be moving if I didn't feel like doing the fab work..

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
The only factory 9" rear end housings that will fit the '65/'66 properly and without modification are the K code 9" with tapered axle tubes and the '57-'59 Ranchero/Station Wagon with straight axle tubes. Maybe somebody who has a narrowed housing will chime in.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
The only factory 9" rear end housings that will fit the '65/'66 properly and without modification are the K code 9" with tapered axle tubes and the '57-'59 Ranchero/Station Wagon with straight axle tubes. Maybe somebody who has a narrowed housing will chime in.
Unless originality is a concearn.. why would you need the tapered axle tubes? Of course the flange-to-flange width is important to fit in the fenders, but you just get the matching U bolts and shock mount plates, and you can bolt either tube size right to the leaf springs...

·
Premium Member
6,896 Posts
I have a 9" housing, axles, and backing plates, no gear set, that was on a 1966 fastback, but since it is non tapered tubes, it is, I believe, off a 1957 or so. It is the big bearing.

I am in Dallas, and I am asking $450 for all of it, and I can ship it no problem, and paypal is fine.

I can get some pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks, please send some pics when you get them. Originality isn't a concern, but since I would have to do a complete rebuild of the 8" anyway I figured I'd go 9, to future proof for mods down the road. Appreciate all of the responses!

·
Premium Member
6,896 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have a SB 9 inch that has tappered tubes but it is not a hipo housing. If I recall the leaf spring pads are not in the correct location. I may sell it because I am thinking of going with a housing that is 3-6 inches narrower. For the cost of buying the tools to narrow mine and do all the work I think it would just be easier for me to buy one already done. My car is mini tubber and the leaf springs are moved inboard 3 inches.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all, thanks for all the replies. I'm exploring some options right now but Ill keep this thread updated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts