Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many thanks, I am looking for information as a 2nd opinion on the list of parts that are shown in the pic are the original parts I saved from when I purchased this car in 1977. What I understand is the alternator is a 1970 mustang, but all the other numbers are good. I have my car in the process to be listed by bat.com and my hope is that there is enough of the original part that it is a worthwhile project. Anybody that follows bat.com sees that if there is something not correct, it is called out. I want to avoid any embarrassment or misrepresentation if possible. The 390 short block (the stamped number on the driver side of the block, matches the aluminum tag attached to the intake manifold) was in the car when I purchased it, with all the parts in the trunk. The transmission has the last part of vin number stamped in the bottom of the case. I do not have air cleaner housing.

Many thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
One would have to have the completion date from the car assembly plant as well as the engine assembly date to be able to give an informed opinion to your "date correct" question IME

·
Premium Member
8,217 Posts
The information you want is not available based on your list. For example, exhaust manifolds. The part number could have been used for many years. The manifold will have a casting date. So in your case, the part number may be correct, but both manifolds were broken at some point, or just replaced. The date code on those manifolds could be months or years after your car was built, even though the part number is correct.

·
Registered
81 Posts
+1 Worry I didn't include this earlier but you would need the individual casting or stamped date from each of those pieces listed to answer your question.

No one said it would be easy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anybody have a picture of the "stamped date" that I should look for? Just to be clear, when I think of "stamped date" a person has a set of numbered hand stamps in their hand and use a hammer to mark the metal. If so, the transmission is stamped this way, see the transmission see pic
Rectangle Font Close-up Metal Rock

·
Registered
81 Posts
The transmission would not have a "stamped date" but instead a cast date when the part of the transmission was made/cast. On a top loader the main case has a casting date (often difficult to read) on the passenger side near the back end in a oval looking raised area just below where the top cover attaches

Tailshaft housing also has a casting date within a similar looking feature

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks, I need to get this figured out. This is the tag, cast numbers for case & tail shaft. I believe that the hand stamp in the bottom in the 1st pic is the one that matters, because it is the vin# is stamped in.

Many thanks!
Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Beige Font
Automotive lighting Fluid Liquid Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive tire Font Tints and shades Auto part Art

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looks like you found them though because I was looking at later toploaders I wrote passenger side while with a C5 you found in on the drivers side. Looks like its going to be almost impossible for us to make out the letters and numbers on the small raised area as described. Your going to be in a better place to read and define those by looking at them from different angles and with different lighting to control the shadows and such

Did you happen to get a Marti report for the car and know when the car was completed? Buyers will expect it to be posted with the ad

Good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
J_Speegle, thanks for the help, if I understand correctly the part of the cast in numbers where it looks like a head of a slotted screw on each end of holding a tag with numbers when it was cast, is that correct?

Yes, have Marti, as the dates in my prior post:
· #4 · Oct 21, 2022
@J_Speegle, many thanks for reply, I did not think to include the 4-14-67 actual build date, scheduled for build was 4-10-67 information from Marti report.

As an example of the cast numbers, this is a pic of the cam shaft, look at the letters "X B A" one is mirror image of the "B". When the metal was liquid, the mold had the letters raised from the surface of the mold, to leave am impression in the metal of the cam.
Gas Nickel Auto part Machine Metal

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes at casting plants there were ingots installed in the molds and help in place by hardware that indicated the day they were casting the item. Other castings identified the part, shift, casting plant or other things important to others

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From what I have seen on bat.com, the part of the number most asked about are cast in numbers on the major parts of motor, transmission & major components. Looking at this manifold C7OE 3431-A (for example) it would be the C7OE part of the number. Many thanks to all!!

·
Premium Member
8,217 Posts
You need more.

manifold C7OE 3431-A (for example) it would be the C7OE part of the number. This is true, but somewhat meaningless.

That manifold could have been cast 6 months before the car was built, and was not installed on the car at the factory, but replaced 30 years later. Likewise, a manifold with that same part number could have been cast in 1995, as a replacement part, with that part number, and replaced on the car in 2000.

Date codes date Codes Date Codes

Water Liquid Fluid Font Automotive exterior

Check your parts for the date code. It MUST be before your build date, but how much is a little iffy. Mustangs were flying down the line, but parts were not religiously put on by date code. Manifolds might have been cast 1 / week for a given size / type manifold, then cooled and machined. Then they may have been shipped 1 / 2 weeks to the assembly plant, where they went into inventory storage. If the line was hot, they may go pretty much straight out, or may be sent to warehouse. Coming out of warehouse, the fork lift might pull the most recent crate first, as it was the closest one to get to.

I have almost 1000 steering gear box tags. For 65 66, there is a tag for almost every day. For 1969, there are several week gaps, indicating to me the boxes were built in batches of XXX number of boxes, for a given make model at a time. Say it was 500 boxes at a time, all Mustang power steering, and the demand pull is 250 per day. Then every 2 days a batch is build. But on the Thunderbird line, it is 35 per day, so it will be about 1 batch (date code) per every 2 weeks.

Ford also reused parts if possible. The C was 1960's, but there are B parts (1950's design) on the Mustang, as there was nothing that needed changing, so an "old" design and part number, albeit newly made, was used.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mustangerbob1, many thanks for your response. After re-reading your post, I believe we agree, the part may have been cast several months before the part is machined, parts already inventoried that have all ready been machined, would get used before, Ford would cast a new batch of parts. Today's modern technology provides many ways to mark and track parts as the assembly happens in real time.
Is there any major component that is not included in the list at the start of this post, that prospective buyers would want to understand or see a picture?
The FE style of motor, including the cap screw style (very forward-thinking considering the time) of connecting rods, goes back to the early 1950s, I believe.
Many thanks for all the information.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
May I reach out with this AutoLite alternator 15V 38A D2Z1 10300 AA NEG. I only found this it this morning. It was found in the floor joust cavity, I have every reason to believe this is the original to the car. Many, many thanks for all the help!
Grey Artifact Tints and shades Auto part Font

1 - 20 of 21 Posts