Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
This is a time when the manufacturer didn't bother to tell you that you could wire it to a switched circuit. I'll bet the instructions just said "12v positive" and they figured you'd decide if it was battery or switched controlled.

·
Registered
35,475 Posts
A couple comments since there's a lot of "stuff" going on in this post...

1. You DON'T want to wire your electric choke to the ignition coil or the starter solenoid "I" (BROWN) terminal (which is backfed by the coil). Since the total resistance in a circuit is affected by all the resistors in the circuit the voltage available to your coil is going to be reduced by the resistance of the choke thermostat, basically a small heating element.

2. NONE of the terminals on the starter solenoid is an ignition "on" power source.

3. The output terminal on the alternator is connected to the battery, via the common large post on the solenoid so it is "hot" all the time.

4. The BEST sources for ignition "on" power are a "clean" wire run to the ignition switch "C" post or (on 3-speed heater blower) early cars the heater-blower feed wire.

5. If you're running a standard "5-pin" relay they DO make "delay off" units with higher amperages that will continue to provide power for a specific time period. Most are adjustable from 0-900 seconds.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Sounds like you need to rewire your choke in addition to rewiring your fan. For my electric choke, I have it wired with a full 12 volts that is being supplied by a relay. I only want the choke energized when the engine is actually running, so I trigger the choke relay using the stator terminal from the alternator. This terminal does not provide a full 12 volts but the relay works fine with a reduced trigger voltage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I did a little investigating on the web to see where people were connecting their positive electric terminal to shut off when the car shuts off that provides 12 amps and people said the positive to the HVAC so I did exactly that and it did just exactly that. Here's the best pic I could get tonight.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks. So is there a nearby location by the radiator for an "ignition on" (key on) connection to actuate the fan relay?
A gentleman never tells but I’m just looking at electric fan controllers for my car. I have a deralle adjustable one right now and the concern I have with it is that it stays on and attempt to cool my car until it gets to the correct temperature and it’s killing my battery. So im looking for one preferably the same style but one that shuts off and stops blowing air when I **** my car down. If someone will recommend me some that do that, that would be super nice of you. Thanks!
I use a Flexalite , works great. It is adjustable and you can wire either way.
yarb

21 - 25 of 25 Posts