Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright...it seems everyone is selling their old used 69-70 gas pedal assemblies for $80+...thats kinda ridiculous for me since I'm not interested in restoration...I'm just looking for a gas pedal that will work me....I have a '66 w/ an EFI engine...if a fox body pedal will sit at the correct height I have no problem using one, I have no problem modifying the pedal to fit...welding brackets...custom brackets,drilling holes...whatever, I would like to start with one that is the correct height...problem is I dont even know what the correct height is...this car was a shell and I never had a pedal, so let me know what all of you guys are using...or what you think may work

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I am using a Lokar billet pedal in my car. I think they come in black if you want a more stealth look.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah...my other pedals are of course stock...billet might stand out a bit more than I want...

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
I just found a 69 pedal.. Was a lot cheaper than that! But if you don't mind drilling, bending, and making brackets, just make a pedal!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would, but I dont have any machines capable of bending the thick steel I would need to do so...although I could get some steel bent to my specs I guess....I have a steel and aluminum company I do business with quite a bit that could do it easy...I'll have to call for a quote today(ballpark anyway)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I got a pedal and cable from a late-model Crown Vic at the salvage yard for $15. It (the cable) is a little longer than needed but not objectionable. One from a late-model Mustang would probably work fine (since you have a 4.6 conversion).

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I used a Fox Mustang pedal. The only fancy fab work is making a 1" spacer between the pedal and the mount. I used a piece of 1" square tubing.
As far as height and position, just try to mock it up and test it before you permanantly mount it.

The first thing you could do is make a template out of sheetmetal... drill the hole for the cable to pass through, then move the pedal around until you get it in the right position such that the cable moves freely without scraping on either side of the sheathing. FYI, The fox pedal pivot is not parralel with the firewall, and that is why its a good idea to mockup the position and test the full motion of the pedal.

Once that is done, mockup the pedal on the firewall , mark the pedal mounting points then overlay your template to verify you won't have any issues drilling the cable mounting hole.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm using the Lokar billet in black which is not too noticeable. The nice thing is that it's adjustable. Once set, it locks with a set screw.

·
Registered
759 Posts
You can also get matching Lokar clutch/brake pedal pad/covers so there will be no mismatch. It's a nice setup, cable throttle, uses existing firewall holes, etc.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I may pull a mark viii pedal(after looking at it anyway) since I will be using the mark throttle cable as well, that way I know it will fit the pedal ad the intake bracket without issue...if it wont work I'll try the fox or crown vic pedal(2nd best option)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

the mark viii pedal will work, but needs to be spaced 1 1/2 off the firewall...by all rights it should be 1 3/4 instead

1 - 11 of 11 Posts