Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local Dynacorn dealer is not so dependable so I won't be wasting anymore time with him.

I need a 68 passenger door, does anyone know of a good dealer preferably in the southeast?

I used a Dynacorn drivers door with very good results and I want to use the same for the other side.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
By the local shop not being dependable, what do you mean? If its parts availability, small shops generally do have a problem with inventory control. Smaller shops that do not have the capital to invest in multiple pieces of each item sometimes have inventory issues. Dynacorn's main warehouses do not keep everything in stock. Once the part is out of stock, it can sometimes take several months to get that part in again from overseas. I've seen some items take in excess of an entire year before I was able to get it again from the main warehouse. Guys like NPD and others with their own large warehouses can buy in bulk, whereas the smaller shops may only have 1 or 2 of each part, or worse, none of some items and special order them only as needed. When that happens, and the Dynacorn warehouse is on backorder, the small shop is SOL.

What is also a problem is that parts availability has been exploding the past few years. When I first got the Dynacorn dealership 3 years ago, I probably could have ordered 1 of each item in the Mustang category for roughly $15,000. Today, I'd say that its probably doubled in just 3 years, and that does not include the new bodies that are out. That's not because of price increases, strictly new parts or part assemblies that are available now.

Not trying to make excuses for inventory issues, but reality is, that's a lot of capital tied up in inventory that is new with no established demand, or a lot of money extended on credit, again on inventory with no established demand. Can't think of a much worse business practice than to be paying interest on inventory that doesn't sell.

I get a lot of emails and PM's about the Dynacorn parts, and for exterior parts such as doors and hoods, etc, which will likely ship truck freight (expensive) or UPS ground (cheaper but likely damaged), I almost always recommend buying it in person from the local shop so you can see it first and take it home. The UPS driver will not take care of your door like you would, and any savings buying it online are usually overcome by shipping fees or the inconvenience of dealing with damaged parts. Doors can ship UPS oversize 2, but due to the volume limitation, you just do not have room for much packing material to protect it.

For you, being in GA, I'd recommend a trip to NPD in Charlotte or to Mustangs Unlimited in Atlanta. You can also go to their website and search for dealers in your area based on telephone area code and at least find the guys in close driving distance.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fully understand the issues with stocking the parts. My problem was after 2 separate purchases (I gave him a second chance) I could never get a straight or consistent answer.

Maybe I'll just go to MU and buy a door, bring it home and try it. I can always take it back if it's not good enough.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
68Hardtop said:
My problem was after 2 separate purchases (I gave him a second chance) I could never get a straight or consistent answer.
That makes sense, and is also unfortunate that that happened.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts