Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not sure what's wrong but my tach needle gets stuck and doesn't want to move.
Do I find a replacement (want to stay with stock look) in entirety?
Can just the guts be replaced?
Are such replacements avaiable aftermarket?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Uh oh, Mr. VMF Spelling/Typo/Grammar Policeman didn't really just post "Looking for a (sic) orignal (sic) Tach replacement", did he??? ::

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Hard to find and expensive. Have the "Tachman" rebuild it and put it back in.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Know......that werent me. :joker:

At least I didn't use ther in error. :lol:

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Michael, Have it rebuilt. Its probably gummed up from years of crud. As mentioned Tachman does them, I've had good luck with D&M Restorations.
Tim

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that may be the problem the wrong adapter.....and the needle sticks too.
ONward and upward...... :horror:

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Mike:

Palo Alto Speedometer can swap out the guts of your old tach with modern guts. Requires that you run one wire from the tach to the "-" terminal of the coil and one wire from the accessory terminal on the back of the ignition switch to the tach. Pretty simple. Haven't hooked up the tach yet so I don't know if it works but they are a reputable outfit and have been there for 30+ years.

Jeff

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
On the subject of exactly why the needle sticks, I found out why, because mine did - a lot. After several conversations with Mike Freeman at D&M Restorations, it is little tiny metal shavings interfering with the needle as it moves around the dial. These become magnetic (if I remember correctly) and interfere with the movement of the needle, until enough current is passed through the tach (i.e. revs are increased on the engine) that the increased current "overcomes" the sticking effect of the tiny debris on the needle movement. During rebuild/recalibration, they really try to get all the tiny bits out of the movement, but sometimes miss some :p. As a result, I had to send my 6K indash tach back to be redone, but Mike at D&M was very helpful and understanding about it - so really no problem - aside from the aggravation of tearing the dash all out again and getting a nice scratch on the underside of my new instrument cluster... :wall: :wall:

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
I second Palo Alto Speedo. They have serviced my many Chevy trucks with perfection. They recently bought out another Bay Area speedo shop in SF so now they are about the only real good speedo shop around. And yes they are only 2 miles from my home......Hoping to service Red when I'm ready.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts