Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm not new to the forum but I am new to the Vintage Mustang Owner life. Saved Dec. 2018. I've recently moved from South Carolina to California and I'm looking for a certified classic car body shop. I made a grave mistake of trusting as co worker who father "is" a classic car mechanic and he butchered my baby. I know I know, I should've checked the guy out prior to committing to the work but me being young to the game and eager to get her looking awesome and on the road, I took a chance and it cost me a year and a half of not having my car and $3,500 only for him to show the car off to other customers and do a crap paint job. So now after that painful lesson I know now that flawless work takes time and experience whereas everything else is what you'll regret. I'm looking to get her a new carb build, new shoes all around, trim blacked out, new windows all around, rear bumper attached, floor pans welded in and a touch up to the paint job....and possibly every under the hood 😅. I've attached photos and welcome any advice and shaming. Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Cloud
Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Car Hood
Brown Automotive exterior Font Vehicle door Rectangle
Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Hood
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Sky
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1965 Mustang, Convertible, 289, T5
159 Posts
Not sure about the mechanical work but “car coat” on w mission ave did great work at a good price for my 65. I know there were to classic mustang shops around Escondido somewhere but I never really had them do any work for me, just sold me parts. Hilltop classic was one and idk the other.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure about the mechanical work but “car coat” on w mission ave did great work at a good price for my 65. I know there were to classic mustang shops around Escondido somewhere but I never really had them do any work for me, just sold me parts. Hilltop classic was one and idk the other.
Awesome, I'll give em a shout the weekend and see what they say about my girl

·
Registered
490 Posts
I went by Drifters Garage today to discuss some chassis strengthening and rust repair. They have some solid customs and race cars in there. Looks like they do nice work. They are in Escondido.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Active Collision in San Marcos always seems to have classic muscle cars in the parking lot. Always see them when passing by on freeway.
Yea I see what seems to be a red 70 mach 1 in the parking lot all the time. I'll check them out in person, although I had mixed feelings based off of their google reviews. Thanks, glad to know there's someone else who notices it besides me

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went by Drifters Garage today to discuss some chassis strengthening and rust repair. They have some solid customs and race cars in there. Looks like they do nice work. They are in Escondido.
Awesome! Those guys seem like real professionals based off of their website. I'll take them some detailed pictures of everything I want them to work on and see what they say.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yea I see what seems to be a red 70 mach 1 in the parking lot all the time. I'll check them out in person, although I had mixed feelings based off of their google reviews. Thanks, glad to know there's someone else who notices it besides me
Yes, Red Mach 1 always seems to be there. Must be owners or a workers. But have seen many other classics in the lot. Have never stopped by. Yelp reviews are very good. Getting hard to find shops that actually will touch classic cars these days. I have toured the following shop. The owner was very cordial and spent a while giving me a tour of his shop. Their work is top notch. Asked him what his average ticket price was. And it was substantially more that what I wanted to spent. Actually sent my car to SC to get done. I would talk to as many shops as possible before making a decision.

here's another to checkout.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, Red Mach 1 always seems to be there. Must be owners or a workers. But have seen many other classics in the lot. Have never stopped by. Yelp reviews are very good. Getting hard to find shops that actually will touch classic cars these days. I have toured the following shop. The owner was very cordial and spent a while giving me a tour of his shop. Their work is top notch. Asked him what his average ticket price was. And it was substantially more that what I wanted to spent. Actually sent my car to SC to get done. I would talk to as many shops as possible before making a decision.

here's another to checkout.

Ok, Awesome. I'll check them out as well. I can definitely see it getting hard to find quality classic car mechs due to the hot thing being all these Japanese street racer cars. I learned my lesson just jumping on a mech that says they can do the job. I'll look into them both and see who has the better quality for price. I definitely appreciate the assistance.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Curious to your recommendation. I checked out their website. Appears they do very nice work. Read some reviews then searched the owners name. I'd be very careful with this place. I don't have any cards in this game but a lot of bad stuff came up when I searched him. Caveat emptor

·
Registered
490 Posts
Curious to your recommendation. I checked out their website. Appears they do very nice work. Read some reviews then searched the owners name. I'd be very careful with this place. I don't have any cards in this game but a lot of bad stuff came up when I searched him. Caveat emptor
I searched it. 2004. A while ago. What I saw was some pretty quality work....When the torque boxes I ordered come in, going to go over there and see what it will cost to fix some rust and stiffen/strengthen up the chassis.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I searched it. 2004. A while ago. What I saw was some pretty quality work....When the torque boxes I ordered come in, going to go over there and see what it will cost to fix some rust and stiffen/strengthen up the chassis.
Doing good work and being a good business person are often 2 different things. I don't have any direct experience with him. And don't like to flame people. But I've found several different threads on this guys business practice. To be very wary of the guy. Just trying to protect some fellow Mustang lovers. Here is one of them.
ron stahr-stahr chassis - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Doing good work and being a good business person are often 2 different things. I don't have any direct experience with him. And don't like to flame people. But I've found several different threads on this guys business practice. To be very wary of the guy. Just trying to protect some fellow Mustang lovers. Here is one of them.
ron stahr-stahr chassis - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion
Don't have a horse in this race not being in CA, but yeah, I agree - no way I'd do business with this guy after reading that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.