Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 1970 mach 1 in 1981.It has been in a garage for 30 years and is in good condition. I recently tried to sell it and found out that the vin says it is a 2 door hardtop not a mach 1 and I am getting offers around $5000. Is that all it is worth?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Title matches VIN under the hood? Not the door tag- under hood on fender aprons- report back 1. Do they match- 2. What is the 3 and 4th digits that you find-
3. If you can prove its yours, and you can prove its a FB (as built by Ford) then NO- (but if you really want to sell it for that I would like to be number 1 on the list)

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,166 Posts
Are you looking at the vin on the door or at the base of a windshield?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vin is 0f01f165184. I don't want to sell it for that just not sure what I should do to make it worth more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only vin I can find is the windshield. It was wrecked before I got it and the front end was replaced

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
If it’s a conversion you’re pretty much screwed.

In 1981 people weren’t doing conversions though, as these were still daily drivers, and a dime a dozen.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
'70 VINs were at the driver side windshield. If this is the original VIN, then it is NOT, and never was a Mach I since your VIN decodes as a 302. The Mach I base engine was the 351. Dean

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,166 Posts
Yes it seems like there is something odd going on here. Maybe the dash vin was replaced?

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
How about some darn pics of the car what we are talking about here?!????

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I was thinking that the vin could have been changed when it was wrecked. It's in very good condition the 351c has been rebuilt no rust. With the vin the way it is about what should it be worth?

Attachments

·
Registered
652 Posts
It might be worth loosening the fenders and looking for the hidden vin on the fender aprons. Even with front end damage and replacement someone may have cut out the vin from the old aprons and welded them into your current ones. Also, does the windshield vin match the vin on the title?

·
Premium Member
13,224 Posts
Your VIN decodes as a 1970 Hardtop with a 302 2V built in Dearborn. Maybe your 1970 Mach 1 was damaged in the front end and a clip from a '70 Hardtop was grafted on. I don't care if the rest of the car is truly a Mach 1 or not as I wouldn't touch that car with a 10' pole. Maybe the Mach 1 wasn't wrecked and it was stolen or the title was not in possession of the seller so he got the VIN tag and title from a wrecked Hardtop and grafted it onto the M1.

As others have stated- pull back the front fenders and look for the VIN that is stamped on both sides between the shock tower and the cowl.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Besides what your vin decodes as, here in California there is no box to check for " fastback" or even "sportsroof" on some DMV forms. When I did a Vin Verify the guy had to mark it as a 2 dr hardtop. Which was I guess different than a 2 dr coupe.

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
It's a nice looking car, and maybe very well done.
It is worth what you are willing to get for it and what a buyer is willing to pay.
We all just prefer, and hope that you do too, that you find out all you can and represent the car as accurately as possible when it's time for cash to change hands.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If it's all in good condition, I'm going to say it's worth WAY more than $5K. A hardtop looking like that would in bring more than 5. Plenty of people would love to make that a driver mod it and not worry about ruining real Mach 1. Where are you at? If the rest of car is like the pics, I'd probably give you more than 5. Post up some more pics.. Let's see that 351.

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
Another "Twister Special" Clone. I like it. It's my favorite 1970 Mustang for sure.

If I were you, I'd be really digging into that car to verify its VIN#'s..... If you have to pull a fender or two to do it. Do it. ..and DOCUMENT EVERYTHING as you go...in Pics and in video and writing.

Nice car... Hard to put a price on it, If it's a hardtop VIN#, That will be considered a "Converted" car and drastically hurt the value of the car no matter how well the car looks. You definitely can't even compare it with another Mach 1 or even a Mach 1 "Clone"..... It's a tough one. Normally a car like yours would be mid to high 20's at least... I think you're lucky to get 15k-17k with all of its history and issues (accident history) that you already know. It's a car for the "right buyer" who just wants something nice to drive and not concerned about originality. If you can document that the car was actually a real "Sportsroof" or a Real Mach 1...That will increase the price dramatically...otherwise, You're just selling a "Converted" car.

:eek:)

Tony K.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts