Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like NPD will be out of stock on the rear bumper Item for a while. Possibly longer than it will take for my repaint. So I'm looking to see if anyone has a new or lightly used rear bumper from NPD for 67-68 Coupe. I am doing a repaint and want to keep a matching set front/rear.

Posted this in the parts for sale section but wanted a wider audience.

Does anyone have an unneeded NPD Rear Bumper (Made by Golden Legion) they bought in the last several years and are willing to sell?

Only NPD unless verified Golden Legion YW bumper.

Thanks!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Is your rear bumper bent? Or is it just a little rusty, etc.

Just asking. Not the best solution, but if you can't find one, I'd just paint it (I know I know) until a new one comes in. Better than buying something cheap.

Other is rechroming which is crazy expensive these days.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your rear bumper bent? Or is it just a little rusty, etc.

Just asking. Not the best solution, but if you can't find one, I'd just paint it (I know I know) until a new one comes in. Better than buying something cheap.

Other is rechroming which is crazy expensive these days.
Front is bent! Not the rear. I doubt the rear is OE. It is probably a repop from the 80s or 90s. Definitely not worth rehoming. I am seeing anecdotal evident that "Goodmark" chrome bumpers are coming from Golden Legion. But multiple sources inform me that other repops for this part are poor. Dynacorn is said to have a good fit but terrible chrome.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My repop rear on my car under restoration is a Nordan? from the 80's.

I wish I had saved my originals from back in the day. The front was terrible, looked like someone wrapped a chain around it and towed it. The rear got hit and slightly dished. Both were fixable, particularly back then when places did that work. The front I got back then was terrible fitting.

I guess this is another item to order and stockpile for when I finish!

Jason

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far calling around most places don't even know the origins. One place had multiple suppliers including Golden Legion and are supposed to check their warehouse for me to see if they can determine one from the other but I doubt they are going to go through 200 bumpers. lol this is crazy. Global supply chain issues abound.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How are the repop bumpers? When I bought my 67 years ago my front bumper was missing. I looked high and low for NOS but they see so expensive
You’re asking me? lol I’m still try to get them on a car (the good ones). Looking for a rear as stated. Quality is all over the place with a few exceptions.

·
Registered
1966 C Code Coupe / 1970 Mach 1 351C
268 Posts
I may have one but need to check. The parts I got for my 70 mustang had a rear bumper loose, and the body shop said it doesn't look like it is the one for that car but an earlier car. I know the PO was building a 68 sometime in the past. I will check tomorrow and let you know if it has any markings on it to identify it.

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Think I found a cache of Golden Legions in driving distance! Sent a supplier tags from my front bumper and they found them. Some parts shops have multiple mixed brands and it's down to randomness really that you’ll get one or another. Will know tomorrow when I see them.

Things like this help you find which names they are re-branded under. Of course, that excludes places that go directly to mfr like our earstwhile NPD. This is also why other places often charge 30 to 50$ more a pop than they. There are more middle men.

It even says "AUTO PARTS 67-68 MUSTANG REAR BUMPER 357 pcs" on 9/05/21. How cool is that?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I got mine from Harris mustang supply in Charlotte NC as they handle golden legion as does Virginia classic mustang. Mine is a 65 and I was lucky to find a rear one back in May supply was limited then I can only imagine what it's like now

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got mine from Harris mustang supply in Charlotte NC as they handle golden legion as does Virginia classic mustang. Mine is a 65 and I was lucky to find a rear one back in May supply was limited then I can only imagine what it's like now
Found a front/back pair front at CJ Pony Parts. They were almost out of that brand too. Sales rep went to bat for me and dug through the multi vendor inventory to find the Golden Legions. Since I was in driving distance I went to grab them. They are both now at my painter’s shop 400 miles away with the 68 Mustang 🤪🚙 drove it down today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts