Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first dent! :no:

Got that out of they way quickly! A nice big dent on the passenger front fender about 4' high 3" wide. should be a routine repair, but I'm looking for someone nearby who can make it disappear. The dent should be easy, I'm concerned mostly about matching the paint & feathering it in so it doesn't look like a patch job. Present paint job is good (older) but not perfect, so I'd like to do it reasonably $.

I've gotten 2 estimates so far, one for $1,100 and one for $550.00.

I live in the north west burbs.

Any quality references would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
879 Posts
I know that he has been mentioned before, and is more north, but Mustang restorations does good work. He has my 66 up there now. www.mustangrestoration.net

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Chris did look at it & I will probably go this route. He's at the high end of the estimates though & since the car's paint isn't perfect now and I may repaint in a few years anyway. The $550.00 estimate I got was from a local body shop, but they want to remove the fender, paint it. I'm sure it's going to need to be feathered in to match. Otherwise I'll have a new looking fender on an older paint job. I'm going to try to get one more estimate. My trany also has a bad leak which needs to me fixed, so I'm trying to be frugal.

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
130 Posts
Try Larry, the owner SLS Automotive Enterprises in Villa Park. He specializes in Mustang restorations. His number is (630) 530-1606. My 66 coupe is there now undergoing a frame up restoration.

Greg

·
Registered
620 Posts
Have you tried any of the paintless dent repair shops? wondering if it could just be popped back out or does it have a crease in it and did the paint chip off of the area? If not try Carnica in Des Plaines see what they have to say about it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Whatever you do, make sure the new paint can be blended in with the existing paint color. Some may remember the assassination attempt on my 65 Fastback at the Lions Club show in Morris a few years back. By the time the repairs were done I was worn out with the whole thing and didn't do battle over the rear quarter being darker than the rest of the side. As the paint on it was probably 10 years old and the shop argued that since it was a special 2-stage paint it would never match, instead of duking things out with the insurance company I ended up selling the car later that year. No regrets as I made a tidy profit and it paved the way for the 04 Mach 1 and started the seeds on my garage project (which when completed will hold a 69-70 Mach 1 too). My point is to not settle for an incomplete repair and be sure the paint can be blended BEFORE they fix it. Good luck.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I can't say enough good things about the shop doing the fastback. I have seen the best paint matching go through this place ever. Honda NSX front smashed; perfect red match, silver metal flake Mercedes; again, dead on. Harry Willett is a perfectionist but will do what YOU want. His collection over the years includes many exotics and sports cars. His current personal project is a narrowed, chopped 34 Ford with a 600HP Viper V10 with one of three factory race intakes (looks like a Hilborn) The frame is powder coated. Shop rate is about $45 per hour and you can eat off the floor. Exceptional metal work. You will see one very cool '65 fastback in this shop right now soon to be in Ratteral primer and Wimbledon White and Guardsman Blue stripes soon to follow. I'm sure you can tell my lack of excitement here.... ::

Harry can be reached at 708-361-4592 and is located in Orland Park.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts