Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've googled a bunch but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I'm trying to find some pictures of the factory 289 engine assembly with the power steering and A/C brackets installed. Wondering what mounting holes are used on the engine for the two brackets. Also need to know:

A/C bracket part number
Crank pulley part number

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Are you going to be using an original style compressor and are you going to be using a Ford pump or an Eaton pump?

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
I screenshot this one the other day. Kinda hard to read the details but it does show the Ford type brackets and their relationship to each other and where the hardware bolts on. I can take pics of one of my cars that has all this assembled and I imagine there are tons of threads on VMF and Google images of this.
Screenshot_20200302-123457_Gallery.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ooooh, I like that! Thanks! This is the first time I've seen this image and I've googled several different variations...looking for this.

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Just trying to help somebody now and then the way I've been helped, thanks to a world of enthusiasts and VMF

·
Registered
990 Posts

This was my car before the rebuild/restoration. ugly wrong coloured 289 and a pile of stuff 'missing' but it was a good shot of the original setup. Minus there brace and the dog leg.

I run AC and PS on my '65. The car had the original setup and the add on dealer idler. Its sort of a crude setup. The main tensioner and pulley are part of the bracket that also mount the alternator. Theres a bracket that mounts the PS and then one to the head for the ac compressor. A dog leg and additionally some cars had a brace that ran from the top. You'll need a 3 groove crank pulley and a two groove water pump pulley as well.

In this photo with my motor sitting on the shop floor you can see the AC tensioner/alternator mount on the passenger side. It attaches with washers or spacers to the water pump mounting bolts as shown. You basically shim/space it to line the belts up and it rotates up and down to tension the v belts. You can see the bolt with the spacer between the heater hose outlets. Thats where the top attaches. I bought a new bolt/attachment kit from AMK products. They have a nice little diagram with where the proper bolts and washers go.

Here it is in the car with the bracket bolted to the head that mounts the AC compressor. Not pictured are the dog leg or top brace as I swapped to a sanden compressor. Also note the proper AC 2 groove water pump pulley

A look from the other side with the tensioner in place.

Heres a friends '66 showing the brace that goes on the top of the compressor.

another shot of his stock setup. showing the tensioner. you can just barely see the dog leg bracket too.

I now have a sanden compressor, Borgeson pump and CVF's serpentine kit. I was running a 95 amp 3G alternator, but now to a 140 amp 1 wire for simplicity with the serp setup. I also use a GMP '65 pump thats aluminum. MUCH nicer to work around.

Let me know, I may have some of the original bits sitting here still.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Here are some pics of mine. Also Crank Pulley : NPD part ##6312-5A. For the AC you need #2882-1A, #2888-1A, and #8678-1A. One part you cant find as a bar that attaches the compressor to the manifold.

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
Attached is possibly a better Illustration than the one previously Posted from the Assembly Manual. In addition, I have Posted an exploded view Illustration from the 1960-68 Master Parts Catalog.
Note that the Part Numbers shown on the Assembly Manual illustration are Engineering or Identification Numbers, not Service Part Numbers. While similar to Service Part Numbers, they are not identical.
The numbers shown on the Illustration from the MPC are Group Numbers.Let me know the Group Number(s) of the part(s) you are looking for, and I can look up the Service Part Number(s).

Bob
1965-66 Air Conditioning0004.jpg
1965-66 Eng Compt AC  1960-68 MPC.jpg

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My 65 has a dealer add on AC with a York compressor. I was not able to add factory PS without changing the AC clutch. My AC belt rode on the outside groove of a 2 groove crank pulley. When adding PS, the AC belt moves to the outside groove of a 3 groove crank pulley. The PS belt uses the middle groove of the 3 groove crank pulley.

I surmise that back in the day, when the dealer added AC there were 2 kits. One kit for cars with factory PS, another kit for cars w/o factory PS.

I have the oem compressor and dogleg brackets, but do not have the bar from the compressor to the head.

The AC dogleg bracket, tensioner pulley bracket and optional idler pulley bracket, attach through the WP. There are different bolt lengths depending on if you have non-AC, AC without optional idler and AC with optional idler. I find that the various bolt kits do not necessarly have the correct length bolts for each application and some work is required on your part to figure that out.

I bought the optional AC idler pulley. The supplied bolts were 1/4" to long and bottomed out when I installed the idler. I called Classic Auto Air, where I bought the idler and they were zero help. I went to Ace and bought 2 bolts the correct length.

I purchased the PS pump, bracket, 2 Scott Drake WP bolt kits, WP and crank pulleys. Except for the WP bolts, I bought all used oem parts that are correct for my 1965 289.

In the end I put all of it in a tote in my attic and bought the Borgeson setup. Way less trouble and fits the engine bay much nicer.

In my situation, since my AC was not compatible with adding PS, I also had to buy a new AC clutch, tensioner pulley bracket,optional idler pulley bracket, WP and cramk pulleys so that I could move the AC belt from the middle to the outside crank pulley.

Its been a PITA to figure out and I have spent a bunch of money along the way.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The AC compressor bracket attaches to the engine with three bolts. One of the bolt holes in the bracket has a spacer cast onto the bracket.

The other two bolt holes use spacers on cars without PS.

The PS pump bracket attaches with 4 bolts.

2 bolts go through the WP, the other two bolts go into the left cylinder head. The bolts that go into the cylinder head attach both the AC compressor bracket and the PS pump bracket. When installing the PS pump bracket, the two spacers are removed and the PS pump bracket slides between the cylinder head and AC compressor bracket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts