Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From what I've found, looks like the Hedman 88300 are the right fit for the right price. But...I can't figure out what h-pipe to use to mate them to my 2.5" mufflers. Anyone got this setup figured out already (that won't break the bank)? Thanks.
I Typo in the title, It's a '68!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Are the 88300 made to fit around the widebody AOD pan area? i didn't think anyone was making headers yet that are designed to fit the AOD vs. C4?

I picked up some used MAC TF7466 Mac Performance - performance accessories for cars, trucks, and motorcycles
because they were the only ones i could afford that would fit my '67 w/PS w/o using a drop bracket.

I had to do quite a bit of bending and tweaking to get them wide enough apart to clear. I also had to cut the flange rings loose and have them rewelded 45* clocked from orignal so they wouldn't hit the pan flange. It was a lot of work but I hope it pays off in upper RPM range breathing. The easy way to go would have been shorties or midlengths. I only test fitted them so far with the engine/trans in so I'm still not 100% done with them or know if I'll be happy with them and if they won't leak.

After i install the headers and flowtubes Mac Performance - performance accessories for cars, trucks, and motorcycles I planned to take it to a muffler shop and have them weld in an H pipe between them and use band clamps to connect them to the mufflers. this way if the trans ever has to come out I can disconnect at the headers and mufflers and pull the H pipe out as one piece.

From mufflers back I plan to use their tailpipes
Mac Performance - performance accessories for cars, trucks, and motorcycles
or Flowmaster tailpipes Flowmaster 15807 - Flowmaster Tailpipes - Overview - SummitRacing.com
and my own choice of mufflers.
Jon

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the 88300 made to fit around the widebody AOD pan area? i didn't think anyone was making headers yet that are designed to fit the AOD vs. C4?

Jon
According to this, they should fit. I was going to order a set today, but I need to find the right H-pipe
Ford Mustang Under Ther Car Photo 24

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Good deal, didn't realize they were far enough apart to clear w/o tweaking. Wish they would bend the one tube to clear the drop bracket.
Jon

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I ordered the headers and a universal H from summit. I'll have to fab the rest of the h-pipe b/c I couldn't find anything else to work with. I'll post again when I get it installed.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well I got everything in. I had to make the H-pipe. They're tight, but the clear the AOD. They sound soooo much better than my stock ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts