Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I test fit the shifter today and this is where it landed...pretty much dead even with the steering wheel. Do you guys think this is too far back? I always felt the stock shifter was too far forward, but this location I am unsure about...I dont have a completed seat(just a stray seat bottom) to test it out so to say. I am 6'3" and will be using seat rail extenders of some type so I will be sitting further back than is the norm. I will also have to cut the trans tunnel further back to build up around this shifter(not a big deal, just more sheet metal to replace), so I have to come to some type of a decision pretty soon. One other thing to factor into the decision...I want to install a handbrake, and while I can offset it towards the driver or passenger side of the tunnel, its still worth considering.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, reverse the handle like Shelby did with the Cobra?
That would be a viable option if the shifter didn't have a built-in reverse lockout function. I can only modify the portion above the part with surface rust in the picture

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Any way to remove the reverse lockout? Any way to shorten the shaft between shifter and transmission?

Seems like the shifter is going to be pretty tall too.

I am 6'-3" (34" inseam) and get by with my seat simply pushed all the way back. Granted your legs could be longer.

·
Dimples
3,423 Posts
I think that would be fine. I’m the same height with my seat moved back probably two inches, and I wish the shifter was closer. The shifter arm itself will have a big impact as well. The stock shifter has a lot of angle-back to it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any way to remove the reverse lockout? Any way to shorten the shaft between shifter and transmission?

Seems like the shifter is going to be pretty tall too.

I am 6'-3" (34" inseam) and get by with my seat simply pushed all the way back. Granted your legs could be longer.
Easy to shorten the shaft...just cut and weld...but doing so makes it so that no aftermarket short shifters work...and more importantly, the Blowfish Racing shifter bracket would no longer fit(which is a bracket that stiffens up the whole floppy linkage...which eliminates all the complaints about the MT82 transmission such as notchy shifting and high-rpm lockout) easy enough to build a similar bracket myself, but its always better to have options. As for reverse lockout, yes, you can do away with the whole mechanism...but its there for a reason....it would be a disaster to grab reverse instead of 1st on a downshift(though I rarely downshift into 1st anyway I do so occasionally)

I think that would be fine. I’m the same height with my seat moved back probably two inches, and I wish the shifter was closer. The shifter arm itself will have a big impact as well. The stock shifter has a lot of angle-back to it.
You are right, I forgot all about that....this will only place the knob a couple inches rearward of where the stock knob ends up...I was focused on the base position, not the knob position. It will be nice to get rid of the angle-shift the stock shifter caused...never did like bent shifter rods as a bandaid to a correctly located shifter...its really baffling why they did that when the toploader transmissions were linkage transmissions as well and they could have just made longer linkages.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts